Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Istros Drachms--record Of An Ancient Solar Eclipse?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Bedrock of the Community
10045 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2012  10:51 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have been researching Istros drachms, because I find the symbolism interesting. Studying possible explanations for the inverted pair of heads, I ran across a fascinating article written by two astronomers at Cambridge, who propose these coins may be a stylized depiction of an eclipse witnessed in ancient times. While there is no real proof, it is sure an interesting read--click to read the pdf.

Ancient Greek texts describe Helios as "piercingly gazing with his eyes (1)" or "flashing eyes, which shot out rays of golden light [2]". Coins of Rhodes depicting Helios do have highly emphasized eyes, and the eyes on Istros coins do appear to have a similar emphasis.

Here are just a few depictions of Helios compared to the wide-eyed Istros coins.

What I found fascinating about this article is how the astronomers tried to visualize the impact of the 431 BC eclipse to the people at the time. To the ancients, the sun was not a star as we understand it today; it was literally the physical manifestation of gods who inhabited the sky, including Helios. Therefore, it's quite reasonable to propose the 431 BC eclipse would be interpreted as an act of the sun god; here is how this eclipse would have appeared to the viewer:

Notice how the "horns" of the eclipse invert from beginning to end? If the sun was Helios, how might an ancient interpret this event?

Here the astronomers describe how the event may have been seen by the viewer:

Another compelling piece of evidence are several eclipse tracks near Istros close to the time these coins were minted:

I hope you enjoyed the article!

(1)Homeric Hymn 31 to Helius (trans. Evelyn-White) (Greek epic C7th - 4th B.C.)
(2)Apollonius Rhodius, Argonautica 4. 726 ff (trans. Rieu) (Greek epic C3rd B.C.) :

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
15278 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2012  11:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As the Mythbusters say: 'PLAUSIBLE'.
Learn More...
United States
22291 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2012  12:09 am  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting notion, based on Greek symbolism I guess it's possible.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2837 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2012  09:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobbyhelmet to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting - I find this sort of study far more engaging than splitting hairs to simply add new 'types'.

Is it correct? Who knows for sure but its fun to theorise.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1266 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2012  09:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Doucet to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bedrock of the Community
10045 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2012  12:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Glad you enjoyed the article. It's fun to get outside of attribution/rarity and wonder why a coin came into being.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.55 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05