Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

ANACS 1904 O (Is This A Unlisted VAM?)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1794 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2012  11:37 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Broken-Coin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Here is a 1904o ANACS MS66 Morgan I purchased a few years ago... Upon close examination I noticed a raised area under the eagles right wing... I checked VAM World and found nothing, so I thought I would post it here and let the VAM experts advise if it's a common strike or a VAM, and if a VAM, whether or not I should send it back to ANACS and pay the extra fee for notation...
The photos I take of late don't do the coins justice, and I can email high resolution photos of any coins I post on this site to anyone that wants to take a closer examination of the area's in question...
My primary email address is vernonpeterson@gmail.com

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2373 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2012  1:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nlp coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would check V-12 and V-22 along with their subsets. Also, edit your posts to remove your email addy so spoofers can't get it. nlp
Pillar of the Community
United States
1794 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2012  12:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Broken-Coin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Too late to edit post, and not sure what a "spoofer" is... Guess I'm one of the older people that trust others...
Pillar of the Community
United States
1794 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2012  12:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Broken-Coin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just went back to VAM World and with my poor vision believe it to be a VAM-22A1, with a I-3 & R-6 rating... Since this is a MS66 Grade already, would it be worth any additional premium with the VAM listed on the holder...
I only ask this because my coin & currency collection will be going to my granddaughter's college education in about 11 years from now and want her to receive the most money possible for everything...
Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2012  1:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Get it reslobbed then. You never know how things may change at TPGs in 11 years.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2787 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2012  2:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SeatedNut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Vernon,

You need to know that the 'I' (Interest) and 'R' (Rarity) ratings are done solely by Leroy VanAllen. These are his "best guess" based on the number of examples he's seen and chatter within the VAM community concerning interest. Some of these are spot on and reflect on pricing for these coins. Others, not so much. I just received my 2012 price guide last evening. I'll check this one and let you know if it would be worth attributing on the holder.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2787 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2012  9:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SeatedNut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Broken-Coin,

The highest grade listed in the price guide is MS65 and it is listed at $500. I'd invest the additional fee to get the attribution on the holder.
Edited by SeatedNut
03/27/2012 9:50 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1794 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2012  1:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Broken-Coin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks...
I telephoned ANACS yesterday for their free submission package for certifing my Sisters late husbands Morgans, and mentioned this coin, saying the experts on this site guided me to the VAM variety and was advised that they would be more than happy to re-holder the coin for $15.00 ...

Again, I want to thank everyone here for their knowledge in VAMS...

My numismatic experience started with Obsolete & Colonial Currency in the 80's (not counting the pennies everyone collected in the 50's & 60's), then sold that collection around 1998 and moved into the Error field... EBay was old enough to be in diapers back then and I found some great deals, and even greater deals in World Errors when ebay had gone global...

When it comes to VAMS, I admit, even wearing glasses and a 10x hastings loupe in hand, I still have trouble finding the varieties... I did purchase the VAM catalog over 10 years ago, but never really delved into it...

I also did not know there was any type of price guide for VAMS, so I may have to pick your brains for VAM values for the Morgans I will be sending to ANACS, as I mentioned to the woman at ANACS yesterday, that I didn't know the values of the varieties for their form and would have to use the non-vam retail value...
Valued Member
United States
172 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2012  08:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add VAMsforMoney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi there. Just my opinion, but your coin looks like a V22A1, not V22A2. Also, currently the market is such that the value of this coin is in the grade, not the VAM. While the 22A1 is harder to come by than the V22A2, neither coin is very rare.
Valued Member
United States
172 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2012  09:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add VAMsforMoney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just to expound a little bit. The PCGS retail price for a MS66 1904-O is currently $465. That is if it is in PCGS plastic, and is retail. You would never get $465 for it if it was in PCGS plastic, or ANACS plastic for that matter.

The VAM price guide referred to is also a retail guide, and is also based on the fact that the coin resides in PCGS plastic. Generally speaking, a VAM in ANACS plastic will fetch less than PCGS plastic. So if you discount the coin value as a VAM in ANACS plastic from the listed value of $500, you are back to square one.

Bottom line, the value of the coin is in the grade, not the VAM. IMHO
Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2012  07:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Just to expound a little bit. The PCGS retail price for a MS66 1904-O is currently $465. That is if it is in PCGS plastic, and is retail. You would never get $465 for it if it was in PCGS NGC plastic, or ANACS plastic for that matter.

Corrected to what I think you meant.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.65 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05