Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection: 1918 Illinois Statehood Centennial

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 1,627Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6768 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2012  7:56 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Back again tonight after a one-day hiatus... I felt yesterday should be all about nickelsearcher and his milestone achievement of completing his MS type set. Congrats nickelsearcher!

We're going to leave New England tonight (but we'll be back!) and head to the Midwest for a few days with our first stop being a 1918 Illinois Statehood Centennial half-dollar coin in PCGS MS-65.

Read More: Commems Collection

Lincoln's portrait on the obverse was the work of George Morgan; it is based on the statue created by Andrew O'Connor that was presented to the public in 1918 in time for the Illinois Centennial. John Sinnock created the powerful, left-facing eagle seen on the reverse.

O'Connor's statue captures a young President-elect Abraham Lincoln (circa 1861) just before he left Illinois for Washington, DC to begin his leadership of the US. The beardless portrait is not the first image of Lincoln most folks think of, but I believe the statue's (and coin's) well-executed design captures Lincoln's unmistakable physical character. The statue is located outside of the Illinois State Capitol Building in Springfield, Illinois.

With 100,000 coins minted, finding a nice Illinois (or as others refer to it "Lincoln") shouldn't prove to be very difficult, even at higher grades -- you needn't settle for a dull coin that lacks nice surfaces and luster.

The example shown is a nice original brilliant example with flashy cartwheel luster and just the slightest hint of golden toning on the reverse between 3:00 and 6:00 o'clock at the rim.

Enjoy!

1918 Illinois Statehood Centennial -- Obverse

1918 Illinois Statehood Centennial -- Reverse

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
United States
530 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2012  9:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add halfhunter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another great Illionos coin. Nice thanks for sharing.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12437 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2012  10:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I thought it might be appropriate to post a photo of the original artwork, take note of the date stamp

Pillar of the Community
United States
1388 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2012  10:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Darth Anarchus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One of my favorite designs...
Learn More...
United States
106572 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7344 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2012  4:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I felt yesterday should be all about nickelsearcher and his milestone achievement of completing his MS type set. Congrats nickelsearcher!

Ahhhh ... you are too kind! I'll soon be embarrassed that I even mentioned it.

Another lovely coin commems ... and one of my top-10 favorites in the set. I've always enjoyed the 'young Lincoln' obverse by George T Morgan ... and IMHO John Sinnock eagle on the reverse is a true work of coinage art.

Fully support your observation that many (most) MS examples today are fully lustrous and 'frosty' ... no need to settle for a dull or dipped coin on this example.

The coin is also necessary for any collector aspiring to put together a complete set of USA coinage featuring images of Abe ... anyone care to list the others?

Quote:
take note of the date stamp

Thanks for the photo bio ... I have never seen that statue in person ... and note the date stamp on Lincoln's 200th Birthday. Nice touch to the thread.

Keep 'em coming commems ... I am enjoying all the coins and your succinct and insightful commentary.

David

Edited to correct some facts.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Edited by nickelsearcher
04/03/2012 6:22 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
5854 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2012  5:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add D0ubl3Eagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Amazing coin!
Valued Member
United States
268 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2012  5:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add f16 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
nice coin that I a good one
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6768 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2012  7:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A list of Lincolns you say...

How about:

1) 1909-1958 Lincoln Cent, Wheat Ears Reverse
2) 1918 Illinois Statehood Centennial Half-Dollar
3) 1959-2008 Lincoln Cent, Memorial Reverse
4) 1991 Mount Rushmore Half-Dollar
5) 1991 Mount Rushmore Silver Dollar
6) 1991 Mount Rushmore Half-Eagle
7) 2003 Illinois Statehood Quarter
8) 2006 South Dakota Statehood Quarter
9) 2009 Lincoln Cent, Birth & Childhood Reverse
10) 2009 Lincoln Cent, Formative Years Reverse
11) 2009 Lincoln Cent, Professional Life Reverse
12) 2009 Lincoln Cent, Presidency Reverse
13) 2009 Silver Dollar
14) 2010 Presidential dollar

I tried to go from memory, but I think I got most of them!
Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7344 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2012  7:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Knowledgeable numismatists like you commems are why I enjoy hanging out here.

I missed the 2006 South Dakota Statehood Quarter on my personal list of 'Lincolns' ...

I have all but the three Mount Rushmore commemorative in my collection ... someday I'll pursue the modern set and seal the deal with Mr. Lincoln.

Well done indeed from memory.

David

Edited for spllneging
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Edited by nickelsearcher
04/03/2012 7:42 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2277 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2012  11:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wquinn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very impressive coin and I really like the young Abe look.
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 1,627Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: