Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection: 1925 Fort Vancouver Centennial

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 1,773Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5937 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2012  9:09 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
We move up the West Coast this evening to the beautiful Columbia River Gorge area with a stop via a 1925 Fort Vancouver Centennial half-dollar in PCGS MS-64.

The Columbia River area is one of the most beautiful areas I've ever visited. My scenic ride along the Oregon side of the river with stops at a half-dozen waterfalls was an experience I'll never forget. While in the area, I also visited the reconstructed Fort Vancouver and had a great time learning about the fort and life on the frontier in the early 19th century. But now it's time to talk coins...

The Fort Vancouver Centennial half-dollar was one of four commemoratives dated 1925. It was struck to mark the 100th anniversary of the establishment of Fort Vancouver on the north side of the Columbia River in what is now Vancouver, Washington (just north of Portland, Oregon). The fort served as a trading post for the Hudson's Bay Company (HBC) which administered Britain's interests in the area; the area was jointly occupied by British and American frontiersmen, trappers and settlers.

Read More: Commems Collection

The coin was originally sketched by John Urquhart and modeled by Sydney Bell. Laura Gardin Fraser finalized this initial work and is responsible for the coin as struck. Dr. John McLoughlin is depicted on the obverse, while the reverse features a fur trapper in the foreground with Fort Vancouver and Mt. Hood in the background. Dr. McLoughlin was the HBC's Chief Factor (Manager) of the Columbia District, taking on his position in 1824. He oversaw the construction and completion of Fort Vancouver in 1825, and held the fort's lead management position until 1846 when he resigned from the company.

To be blunt, I've seen quite a few ugly Fort Vancouver's. It is a coin that is prone to splotchy, uneven, unattractive toning and can vary from a "chromy" look to a more natural brilliant finish. The coin currently in my collection is an MS-64 that is clean, has terrific luster and is completely untoned. It will be upgraded at some point, but not until the "right" coin is found!

Enjoy!

1925 Fort Vancouver Centennial -- Obverse

1925 Fort Vancouver Centennial -- Reverse

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7121 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2012  10:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It will be upgraded at some point, but not until the "right" coin is found!

I salute that philosophy ... exactly the same for my humble MS set.

You have shared another excellent description of the 'story' behind the coin ... a very enjoyable read indeed.

You obviously chose to limit your remarks on this coin ... and as a result did not mention what I consider to be a few 'fun facts' ...

The 50,028 coins were struck at the San Francisco mint ... but the "S" mint mark was left off somehow.

History records that the entire original mintage of Ft. Vancouver half dollars were loaded into a single 12-cylinder DeHavilland and delivered from San Francisco to Vancouver on 8/01/1925 ... and the loss of that plane would have meant the loss of every one of these coins.

Alas .. the Ft. Vancouver half was not well received with the collector in 1925 ... and 35,034 were eventually returned for melting ... leaving a total of 14,994 surviving coins for us to enjoy today.

Your outstanding PCGS MS64 example is a rare and beautiful example of this great coin.

This is also a very difficult coin to find in honestly circulated condition ... so I am pleased that my MS/Circ set has one of each.

Thanks for sharing.

David

edited for spllneging
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Edited by nickelsearcher
04/06/2012 10:35 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5937 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2012  10:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
nickelsearcher: As always, "Thank You!" for the positive feedback and the additional commentary. I've enjoyed reading the great info you've been adding to my posts - I think your content has improved them and made their story more complete.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6354 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2012  9:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add muddler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have always found this coin difficult to grade. What may look like wear to me may just be a week strike or lack of design detail. This is another great example, thanks for sharing it.
Learn More...
United States
101057 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2012  1:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice!

Quote:
The Columbia River area is one of the most beautiful areas I've ever visited.
I agree. I used to live in eastern Washington state. There is a lot of natural beauty in the Pacific Northwest.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5854 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2012  6:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add D0ubl3Eagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Amazing coin!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2277 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2012  2:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wquinn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice coin. I took a tour of Fort Vancouver a few years ago. Very nice area.
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 1,773Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05