Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection: 1935 California-Pacific Exposition

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 1,991Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5937 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2012  4:58 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Something a little different today, a non-certified example of the 1935 California-Pacific Exposition commemorative half-dollar.

I'll do a full write-up on the coin itself when I retrieve my next batch of certified coins from the bank and post this one, but for tonight I thought I'd post one of the many original holders for the series that I have collected over the years.

Read More: Commems Collection

There were several different styles of holders for the California-Pacific Expo (AKA San Diego) half-dollar: plain, unmarked cardboard holders for either one or three coins, a folder depicting the tower and dome of the "California Building" of the Exposition, a folder with "Merry Christmas" inscribed on it and a colorful green and red Christmas card.

The holder in my collection is the "California Building" variety which is also depicted on the coin itself. Today, the building and tower contain the San Diego Museum of Man, during the Exposition the California Building served as part of the entrance to the Exposition. The building, especially the tower, is one of San Diego's most notable landmarks.

My experience has been that holders for the California-Pacific Exposition are more scarce than a number of the other commemorative holders (e.g., the Norfolk holder, the Roanoke Colony folder, etc.), though none of the holders should be viewed as common.

These particular holders often "featured" a piece of tape to hold the commemorative coin in place; you can see remnants of such tape in the interior image below. Not great for the coin and/or future coin collectors, but for non-collectors looking for an Expo souvenir it likely wasn't a concern.

As you can see, the coin has toned considerably over the years (mostly spent in the holder) and would likely grade no better than Choice AU at this point. All-in-all, a nice piece of historical ephemera to supplement my core collection.

Enjoy!

1935 California-Pacific Exposition Holder -- Front

1935 California-Pacific Exposition Holder - Interior

1935 California-Pacific Exposition Half-Dollar -- Obverse

1935 California-Pacific Exposition Half-Dollar - Reverse

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Learn More...
United States
101057 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2012  5:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Typically I am the crack-it-out kind of guy, but I like this. I like it a lot. Decent and honest OGP toning.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18587 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2012  7:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These buildings can be found in Balboa Park, San Diego.
Had fun with Google Maps terrestrial photos trying to get the same scene.

Why? may you ask? I have been to the exact spot where the Google picture was taken!

Needless to say I have an example of this type, as a memento of the time I have spent in San Diego. Mine is a nice lustrous MS63.
Edited by sel_69l
04/10/2012 7:48 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7121 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2012  9:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your amazing collection of commemorative historical ephemera is awe-inspiring to me.

I humbly suggest that I am but a novice in my commemorative collection and knowledge ... and my honest acknowledgement of the great set you have assembled.

Looking forward to any and all future contributions.

David
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Valued Member
United States
209 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2012  9:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TreeMonkey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Such interesting collateral material to complement your collection. Really adds to the charm and historical impact. Thanks for sharing.

Bill
Pillar of the Community
United States
2277 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2012  08:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wquinn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for sharing your wonderful collection.

It is strange that the toning is around the letters and the design and not on the high spots.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5854 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2012  7:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add D0ubl3Eagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice to see the coin in its original holder. Thanks for sharing!
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 1,991Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05