Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection: 1936 Norfolk Bicentennial/Tercentennial

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 1,773Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5937 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2012  8:04 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Tonight's offering is a commemorative half-dollar that marks two distinct dates in Norfolk's history: the 200th anniversary of the establishment of the Borough of Norfolk and the 300th anniversary of the land grant that led to the founding of the Village of Norfolk. The coin is represented by an example in PCGS MS-67.

This one definitely falls into the "Local Significance" category of US commems (vs. "National Significance") and is indicative of how crazy the commemorative coin area had gotten by the mid-1930s. It would have been great to have been a fly on the wall when the folks from Norfolk explained how the transition of the Village of Norfolk to the Borough of Norfolk in 1736 was an event of such significance that it merited a US commemorative half-dollar. (It should be noted that a commemorative medal was initially authorized for the occasion but it was later "upgraded" to a half-dollar after intense lobbying efforts by the sponsoring Norfolk Advertising Board.)

Read More: Commems Collection

The coin is the work of the husband and wife team of William Marks Simpson and Marjorie Emory Simpson, who together created one of the more distinctive coins of the classic series. The coin holds the record for the most words/letters used on a US commemorative coin -- the designers barely had room for any graphic elements!

At the center of the obverse is a three-mast sailing ship, a plow and three sheaves of wheat; this design was taken directly from the Norfolk Seal. Surrounding these graphic elements are three concentric rings of inscriptions (see enlarged image below for details). The obverse commemorates Norfolk's Borough status bicentennial.

The coin's reverse features the Royal Mace of Norfolk and lots more words! The Royal Mace is a link to the original Land Grant of 1636 -- the tercentennial side.

You'll notice in the image below that the coin includes five different dates: 1636, 1682, 1736, 1843 and 1936. Too bad none of the dates represent the year the coin was struck -- 1937. The Norfolk is another example of a US commemorative coin that was authorized and struck in a year not matching the year being commemorated.

The coin presented is a flashy, brilliant example with gorgeous cartwheel luster.

I've also included images of the original holder used by the Norfolk Advertising Board to hold/mail purchased coins, as well as the coin's original Order Form.

I could go on, but I've said enough...

Enjoy!

1936 Norfolk Bicentennial -- Obverse

1936 Norfolk Bicentennial -- Obverse (Enlarged)

1936 Norfolk Bicentennial -- Reverse

1936 Norfolk Bicentennial -- Original Holder, Front

1936 Norfolk Bicentennial -- Original Holder, Interior

1936 Norfolk Bicentennial -- Original Holder, Back

1936 Norfolk Bicentennial -- Original Ordere Form, Front/Back

1936 Norfolk Bicentennial -- Original Ordere Form, Interior

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
04/12/2012 2:44 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
6354 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2012  8:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add muddler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another wonderful example, and another of the ones I am missing.
Learn More...
United States
101057 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2012  11:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not only a beautiful coin, but an interesting history lesson as well.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2277 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2012  11:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wquinn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very awesome coin and an amazing grade. I love coins with ships on them.

A very nice poem, with some punctuation problems.
Valued Member
United States
209 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2012  2:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TreeMonkey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow!

I can only imagine how long it has taken you to get to this point with your collection. Great job!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7121 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2012  8:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Outstanding coin and associated commemorative material.

We know that 'average' MS67 Norfolk halves are not tough to come by ... but your example is exemplary in visual impact ... lovely indeed.

Your informed posts have given me insights into the series that I missed ... and your collection of related materials has opened my eyes to an entire new collecting opportunity.

Well done I say ... Thanks again for sharing from your impressive collection.

David
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 1,773Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05