Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection: 1925 Lexington-Concord Ephemera

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 2,111Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5937 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2012  5:01 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Here is one of the more common coin holders of the classic series -- the Lexington-Concord half-dollar slide-top pine box.

As you can see from the images, the box features a Minuteman on its top slide and the Old Belfry on its back; both images are very similar in appearance to the designs depicted on the coin itself. The coin sat in the circular well seen in the image of the box's top/front. Overall, the box isn't much larger than the half-dollar for which it was made. My example measures 1-13/16" in length, 1-3/4" in width and 3/8" in height.

If the box is encountered with an original coin still contained within it, it is very likely that the coin will show toning effects from the pine with which it was in contact. Nearly all that I've seen in this state had toning that was fairly dark, uneven or splotchy -- most were not attractive to me.

Read More: Commems Collection

This is another holder that was counterfeited, so care should be taken if making a purchase of one. Make sure the box is made of pine rather than some other wood, that the art is stamped on the holder with blue ink and that the commemorative dates are impressed into the wood vs. just being printed on its surface.

Enjoy!

1925 Lexington-Concord Half-Dollar Pine Box -- Front/Top

1925 Lexington-Concord Half-Dollar Pine Box -- Back/Bottom

1925 Lexington-Concord Half-Dollar -- Obverse

1925 Lexington-Concord Half-Dollar -- Reverse

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
06/25/2012 5:28 pm
Learn More...
United States
101057 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2012  6:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice!

Quote:
If the box is encountered with an original coin still contained within it, it is very likely that the coin will show toning effects from the pine with which it was in contact. Nearly all that I've seen in this state had toning that was fairly dark, uneven or splotchy -- most were not attractive to me.
Interesting. I would assume that toning would occur, but am surprised it would turn out undesirable.

So does anyone have one with the toning that they would like to share?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7121 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2012  6:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agreed that these pine holders are seen with some regularity .. I do not own one but have bid on a few.

Quote:
but am surprised it would turn out undesirable

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder jbuck ... commems aesthetic towards this series closely matches mine ... limited-toning to white coins with full luster and above average strikes.

To me ... any darkly toned coin would be undesirable ... but that is my eye and not saying they do not rightfully appeal to a great many other folks.

Another informative post commems.

David
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2012  01:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will have to keep my eye out for this box. Great coin commems, I have a 65 myself not as clean as yours though. Was my first classic silver so I'm a little torn. I want to upgrade it for sure but part of me wants to hang onto this one being my first purchase of the set
Pillar of the Community
United States
3716 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2012  08:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KenKat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is my toned Lexington - not sure where/how it acquired the toning as I purchased it this way:

Learn More...
United States
101057 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2012  3:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder jbuck ... but that is my eye and not saying they do not rightfully appeal to a great many other folks.
I agree, which is why I wanted to see some examples.

Quote:
Here is my toned Lexington - not sure where/how it acquired the toning as I purchased it this way:
For the record, I love the toning on that coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2935 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2012  3:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add paleoguy45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's one I had a ways back, but it turned into a Liberty Cap Large Cent. Loved the holder! PG

https://www.coincommunity.com/forum...IC_ID=106217
Pillar of the Community
United States
2277 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2012  10:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wquinn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting on the pine box. I have never heard of that.
Pillar of the Community
United States
863 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2012  10:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silvercoinrn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
do these coins hold any premium? I bought one for $12 the other day. It was not with the box though. is there anywhere where I could find the box seperate?
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2012  02:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Silver depends on the grade. Some go for very high prices but I dont think just having the box would give a huge spike unless you found a never opened one
Pillar of the Community
United States
863 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2012  3:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silvercoinrn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
welli tihnk it is a poor stamp. the details on the house seem very poor
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5937 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2012  5:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@silvercoinrn: Regarding the pine box, there isn't any specific source that I can point you to regarding purchasing one of the original boxes. They do pop up from time to time at coin shows and online auctions such as ebay. The key is to keep your eyes open, especially at shows, and carefully review dealer cases when you see they have commemorative coins for sale.

Regarding your coin having a "poor stamp" - if you only paid $12 for it, it is likely a coin that has circulated quite a bit and the lack of details you are noting are a result of actual circulation wear and not a weak (poor) strike by the Mint. If you can post a picture of your coin, folks here can give you more info.

As far as premiums on the Lexington-Concord, if you find an original coin with the original box, it will typically carry a premium price over the individual pieces sold separately. Many collectors seek out commemoratives in their original holders/mailers and will generally pay a premium for matched pairings. Its not an absolute rule, but if the seller is knowledgeable about what he/she has, he/she may price it at a higher level and wait to sell it to a collector willing to pay a premium.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 2,111Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05