Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1909 Lincoln Cent Will Be Touching Down On Mars Sun Night

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Valued Member
United States
213 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2012  11:42 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Danester to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
A 1909 Lincoln Cent will be touching down on the surface of Mars with the 2012 "Curiosity" NASA rover -- scheduled to land at 1:17 AM EDT Monday Aug 6th (10:17 PM Sunday PDT August 5th).

The 1909 Lincoln Cent is aboard as a calibration target for the Mars Hand Lens Imager instrument. If this coin could be recovered sometime in the future and then certified by PCGS.... what a prize!

No more bouncing cushion ball landings as in the past. This rover will be landing like Buck Rogers by an eight-engine jetpack "sky crane" that will gently lower it to the surface.

BudlaGh1A0o
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11645 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2012  11:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I cant even imagine the price a certified mars Lincoln would go for. Would probably be worth more than the stolen double eagle
Bedrock of the Community
10045 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2012  11:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Curiosity Rover landing will be quite a feat of engineering if they pull it off!
In either case, it will be the only coin on Mars!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2073 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2012  11:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add OldSkoolMadSkilz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That depends. A regular Mars 1909 I'd only spend a million on. If it were a Mars 1909-S VDB, I'd probably go to a mill and a half.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11645 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2012  11:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
In either case, it will be the only coin on Mars!

Besides the buried alien coins of course
Valued Member
United States
213 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2012  12:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Danester to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is an image of a 1909 Lincoln Cent on page 6A of this Friday's USA Today. It has "NASA" printed below it, so I am assuming it is an image of the actual coin on-board.

It has some red high-lights and looks AU-58... but it is hard to tell the grade from this small image. Could be a VDB or Doubled Die, however.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11645 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2012  12:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Did they happen to mention why 1909? Seems there has to be some significance here. Cant imagine that was one that was just laying around for them to grab during assembly
Pillar of the Community
United States
1511 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2012  12:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NathanASE to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm curious as why 1909 too? Wow, that would be one rare wheat!
Valued Member
United States
213 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2012  12:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Danester to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like it is a 1909 VDB after all. Here are two links that give more infomation about the coin. The coin looks to have been cleaned.... but if you are the frist and only coin to go to Mars - what the heck!!

http://www.collectspace.com/news/news-020712b.html

http://www.coinworld.com/articles/1...ute-to-mars/

Pillar of the Community
United States
2150 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2012  12:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jokingjoker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Even if recovered it would never grade. It has been harshly cleaned.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11645 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2012  12:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice.

For those who do not want to read the whole article here is why for the 1909 which makes a lot more sense now.

Quote:
"Originally the Curiosity rover was going to launch in 2009, and so I had planned all along to use a 1909 cent in celebration of the centennial of the Lincoln cent," he said. "I could not use one of the four 2009 cents because we had to commit to the design and materials (i.e., the 1909 is brass, 2009 is mostly zinc) in 2008. When the launch was delayed to 2011, we still went forward with the 1909 cent because we already had it in-hand.

"In fact, we made 4 of these calibration targets, each with a 1909-VDB. One target is on its way to Mars, two others were used in testing at JPL, the other is in storage as a flight spare that could be used on a future mission to Mars, if such an opportunity were to materialize.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11645 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2012  12:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Even if recovered it would never grade. It has been harshly cleaned.

I think we could make an exception for this one. Could you imagine sending the mars VDB in and having it sent back in a baggie lol
Valued Member
United States
213 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2012  12:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Danester to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Below the date..... it looks like a Dropped Letter error. Could be something else, but it dose look like a Dropped "1".
Valued Member
United States
213 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2012  03:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Danester to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Curiosity rover is closing in on the Red Planet for a white-knuckle descent to the surface using an untried "sky crane" technique to ensure a pinpoint landing on the floor of Gale Crater.

I'm hoping all systems go for a safe landing. A penny heads-up is good luck.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-11386_3-5...kes-descent/

Bedrock of the Community
United States
11645 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2012  03:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With that complicated delivery method they will certainly need all the luck they can get
Valued Member
United States
213 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2012  03:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Danester to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Challenges of Getting to Mars: Curiosity's Seven Minutes of Terror --- What's really involved in landing the rover.

Ki_Af_o9Q9s

Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.97 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05