Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Classic Commemoratives "Did You Know?" #24

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 1,302Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8273 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2012  11:32 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
If you've ever spent time examining the way the denomination is presented on the coins of the classic commemorative series, you may have noticed that several of the coins vary from the circulation standard. For example, not all of the 50-cent coins use the contemporary US standard of "Half Dollar." Seven coins feature a nickname as part of the denomination specification -- I call these coins the "Nickname Notables."

This interesting variation began with the very first US commemorative coin -- the 1892 World's Columbian Exposition half-dollar. The obverse specifies the denomination as "Columbian Half Dollar." I've never heard it suggested (or seen it documented), but I've wondered if this was consciously done by Charles Barber as a way to make it very clear that it was a "souvenir coin" of the Columbian Exposition vs. a standard circulating half-dollar coin. Coincidentally, the new standard dime, quarter-dollar and half-dollar coins designed by Barber were released in 1892.

Barber used the same approach when he prepared the models for the 1893 Isabella 25-cent coin which presents its denomination as "Columbian Quar Dol" and the Lafayette silver dollar of 1900 which features "Lafayette Dollar" as its denomination vs. the more traditional "One Dollar."

Beginning with the gold commemorative dollar of 1903 for the Louisiana Purchase Exposition (another coin designed by Barber), our commemorative coins transitioned away from "nicknames" and followed the traditional manner of presenting the denomination -- "One Dollar" or "Half Dollar" -- on the coins issued.

In 1916, however, the named-denomination re-surfaced with the release of the McKinley Memorial gold dollars. The obverse of the coin (designed by 76-year old Charles Barber) features a denomination specified as "McKinley Dollar." Chief Engraver Barber died in February of 1917.

(Image courtesy of Heritage Auctions, Inc., http://www.ha.com)

A few years later, the approach continued with the "Pilgrim Half Dollar" to mark the 300th anniversary of the 1620 landing of the Pilgrims at Plymouth Rock in present-day Massachusetts; the coin was designed by Cyrus Dallin. It was soon followed by the George Morgan designed 1924 "Huguenot Half Dollar" and the Chester Beach designed 1925 "Patriot Half Dollar" to mark the 150th anniversary of the first military engagements between the American colonial militia forces and the British Army regulars (the start of the American Revolutionary War).

We may never know if Charles Barber decided to specify the denomination on our first commemorative coins in a "special" way to help distinguish them from our regular circulating coinage, or if it was simply a matter of artistic expression under the less restrictive constraints of commemorative coin design; more research may someday yield a definitive answer. Either way, he was not alone in using "nicknames" on our commemorative coins as the three non-Barber issues of the 1920s attest.

One possible explanation as to why the artists chose to specify the denomination in a non-standard way is that it was an attempt to create an easy-to-remember identity for these coins as a way to increase/expand their popularity and help generate sales. "Patriot Half Dollar" certainly rolls of the tongue more easily than "Lexington-Concord Sesquicentennial Half Dollar."

In any case, I think this little subset of coins is just one of the many interesting ways of looking at our classic commemoratives!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
08/21/2012 11:34 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
4059 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2012  12:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bpoc1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Commems, very informative. Thank once again. Being from The Bay State, the Pilgrim is one of my favorite with 1921 Date added in the Field.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3474 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2012  12:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add matthewvincent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
commems,
One of the secrets of a great teacher is the ability to present
a subject in a different way.
"Uncle" Charlie was a bit of a maverick and as a Barber person I thoroughly enjoyed
reading this lesson. Thank you very much.
Valued Member
United States
255 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2012  1:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kellyk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great info. Thanks again. I looked up the Isabella Columbia coin as I wanted to see how the obverse looked. One article staed that after the fair, the coins sold for as little as 35 cents! Beautiful coins!
Learn More...
United States
116464 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2012  3:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Once again, you present a new and interesting way to look at the classic commemorative coins.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8080 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2012  7:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Appreciate as always your exceptional ability to present insightful information in a well-written and refreshing way.

This is a fun and interesting numismatic angle to consider for the classic commemorative series ...

I was aware of the silver coins ... but did not make the connection with the McKinley Dollar.

Thanks again commems for another great post.

David
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 1,302Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: