Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Silver Chevrolet Awards

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 4,918Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1354 Posts
 Posted 08/27/2012  12:24 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Coin Chick to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I received these from my uncle. He purchased a dealership a few years ago and the owner must have been in a rush to leave as he left everything in his office, including his wall plaques. in them were 6 service supremacy awards. all stamped sterling weighing 30g a piece. I don't know much else about them. Thought they were neat. Also left in the desk was approx 3 rolls of US nickels from the 40's. no silver ones.

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17914 Posts
 Posted 08/27/2012  11:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It seems that these medallions were made when the spot price of silver was well below $5 per ounce.

Bit hard to work out a value for them, because the market would be less well researched and observed than for coins. Medals were not meant to circulate, coins were.

You would need to do some research into the American Medal market to determine a value, but that is one nice group of medals, that must have some significant historical value.

I have some old medallions that relate to cars, but none as nice as these.

Well worth keeping in the family. I would house them in acrylic screw capsules, just to preserve them. Do a ring around amongst some coin dealers, to find some capsules from ex proof sets.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1354 Posts
 Posted 08/27/2012  11:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coin Chick to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think these were handed out mostly in the 1970's. Possibly as early as 1967 and as late as 1982.
I believe there are 22 different designs. That's about all I could find out so far.
Pillar of the Community
United States
538 Posts
 Posted 08/27/2012  11:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Williamsonj320 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That mint mark on the edge by the sterling stamp is the same as on a medallion I got recently on ebay that is from Disney. The font looks the same as mine except mine is bronze. Have you found any information on who the manufacturer is?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1354 Posts
 Posted 08/27/2012  7:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coin Chick to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not sure who the manufacturer was either.
Pillar of the Community
United States
538 Posts
 Posted 08/27/2012  11:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Williamsonj320 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well if I figure it out I'll be sure to let you know.
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2013  01:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add short stack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
*** Edited by Staff - Please Review the rules that you agreed to when you registered. ***
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1354 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2013  01:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coin Chick to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Short stack
You can't purchase here until you reach 250 posts. I do still have them but don't want to sell at this point in time.
Have you checked eBay?
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2013  11:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add short stack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hummm. eBay? Never heard of it. Although, I have been a long term member of PCGS, kitco forums, AGStackers, bullionstackers.com, realcent, bulliondirect, silverseek, the "old" goldismoney, the "new" goldismoney.com, coin talk, etc. I just happened to find your post here after about the 19th page of a google search and thought I would see if you were interested in trading or selling them to help me finish up my collection. I currently have 17 of these different types of Service Supremacy medallions as well as the original display case for them. I would have offered your choice of ASE, Maple, Engelhard, Onza, Philharmonic, Morgan, or of course cash / paypal etc. But, no, I dont have 250 posts here and it would probably take me 6 months to get there, so I am obviously not a person to be trusted. Thank you for your time and answering my newbie post. You all seem to have a nice little family here.

short stack
Edited by short stack
02/04/2013 8:11 pm
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2013  4:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add davey58 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I also have three of these. I was a Chevy dealer in another life and earned the "vehicle preparation", "service advisor" and "quality control" medallions. Did anyone ever come up with a value for them, if any, above the bulk silver rate?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1354 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2013  01:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coin Chick to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not sure if there is a premium. I'm not thinking so.
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2013  10:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add davey58 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, I'll just try to get the bullion value for them. I appreciate the response.
United States
1 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2020  9:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JeterDunn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wish there was more information about these, I also have 6.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17914 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  03:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Try Google searching the
Medallic Art Company's records.
Valued Member
United States
387 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  5:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add retiredkper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Automotive items have a following all their own. First figure melt value as your base value. Then google something like Chevy silver medal until you find some listings then click on the shopping tab which may take you to sales sites like eBay. Next go to eBay and do the same search. Then click on advanced search and choose completed sales or sold items which will give you some real market information. Keep in mind that sales on eBay will cost you about 18% in ebay and paypal fees plus the expense of packing and mailing.
Learn More...
United States
94566 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 4,918Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05