Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Complete Lincoln Cent Collection In Dansco 1909-2009

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 61 / Views: 23,029Next Topic
Page: of 5
Pillar of the Community
United States
3470 Posts
 Posted 09/07/2012  1:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add acloco to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Send the 22 Plain, 09 SVDB, and 14 D in for grading.

As Barry and BadThad have pointed out, the lighting may be tossing bad light on the coins.

In my most humble opinion, I would send this back. The keys have some problems that are never going to get any better.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4789 Posts
 Posted 09/07/2012  2:12 pm  Show Profile   Check barryg's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add barryg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Heh. I knew it was only a matter of time before somebody recommended I send the whole set back for a refund. Congratulations, acloco -- you're the winner!

I have yet to send a coin in for grading and hate to break up an album to do so (I've considered doing it with some of my loose coins). But I'll admit, it sure is tempting to do so with the SVDB...
Pillar of the Community
United States
3470 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2012  11:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add acloco to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
BarryG - sorry...but those just won't get any better with age....especially in regards with what you paid for them.

Again, in my humble opinion, the key dates you received, will not grade without a comment on them - corroded, genuine, etc. I am also not so sure your 22 plain is an authentic error coin.

The S VDB has some missing metal on the obverse and reverse rims at 2 o'clock....and a little dirt.

The 09 S looks like a dug coin...that might only net a G4 grade.

14 D looks nice. I like it!

22 Plain - don't know. Just does not look right. Probably better in hand.

24 D is probably an AG3/G4.

31 S has one heck of a spot on the obverse and a weak reverse.

Again...flame suit on....but I think you got took for the price you paid versus the quality.

The keys carry the value in this set.

Could probably buy F/VF keys in the $2000 range, semi keys for $25 to $30 each...and still have fun tickets left over for the rest.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4789 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2012  08:42 am  Show Profile   Check barryg's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add barryg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No need for the flame suit, acloco! I certainly didn't expect to get a bargain when purchasing from a big company like APMEX.

Basically, I look at it this way -- I never would have been able to justify (to myself or my wife) purchasing a 1909S VDB except as part of a large set of collectible coins. I would like to think that it would grade as problem free if I ever decided to send it in, but I'll never know for sure since I have no plans to ever do so. I occasionally talk about "investment potential" of the coins I buy, but that's really more to keep the wife happy so she doesn't think I'm wasting money on coins. As for me, I'm just thrilled to have it in my possession and plan to hand it down to my son when I die.

Plus, the memorial cents all look really snazzy...

My Coin & Currency Collection
(Dansco 7070 and 8100 albums, Proof Type Set, U.S. Currency Type Set & Foreign Bullion Collection)
Pillar of the Community
United States
2277 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2012  09:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wquinn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Congrats on getting a complete set and good luck in upgrading it.

I'm surprised on how worn the keys and semi-keys are though.
Valued Member
United States
256 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2012  10:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add briank to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a 22 plain and your reverse looks weak in my novice opinion.
United States
23 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2019  05:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mrlostandfound to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
BaryG how is this set comming along?
Pillar of the Community
United States
4789 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2019  07:11 am  Show Profile   Check barryg's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add barryg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey, Mrlostandfound!

To be honest, I've basically left it alone since I got it, only replacing a few common wheat backs that I happened to run across in better condition. I did, however, eventually convince myself (and my wife) that it was OK to make an investment on a really nice 1909-S VDB:

(Dansco 7070 and 8100 albums, Proof Type Set, U.S. Currency Type Set & Foreign Bullion Collection)
Valued Member
United States
249 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2019  11:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Giwalsh to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow yes you did!
Valued Member
United States
249 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2019  11:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Giwalsh to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That should have cost the same as the complete set
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53440 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2019  12:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Gigantic coin, congrats!
Learn More...
United States
94141 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2019  11:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I did, however, eventually convince myself (and my wife) that it was OK to make an investment on a really nice 1909-S VDB:
Excellent!
United States
23 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2019  12:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mrlostandfound to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Baryg, that is a very nice coin you did good for yourself. You upgraded the most expensive coin in the set that really says something. I have read through almost all of your posts. Thanks for sharing all those photos. I picked up 30 new wheats today in the 5 cent bucket at my local shop. I am trying to complete the wheat set this year.
Valued Member
United States
163 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2019  12:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1962penny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
wow that is a beaut
Pillar of the Community
United States
4789 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2019  09:09 am  Show Profile   Check barryg's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add barryg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, all! The only problem, of course, is that it's slabbed and not in my actual album as a result. And, no, I'm not about to crack it out of its slab...

Page: of 5 Previous TopicReplies: 61 / Views: 23,029Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05