Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post One Coin That Makes You Sentimental

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
843 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2012  8:07 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Jaymon74 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So last Friday my home was broken into. The person stole a couple of very sentimental items. Both were silver. I filed a report with the police, and checked every gold and silver buyer and pawn shop in town with no luck. Thankfully my coin collection was not touched. I'm feeling kind of down and thought I'd share with all of you a coin that I'm sentimental about.

This is an ancient that my Grandmother left to me. She was very religious and probably imagined Jesus or one of the disciples carrying it.

So I would like everyone to post a coin that either you're sentimental about, or that just means a lot to you. Also tell why! Kind of like a show and tell.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1794 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2012  07:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pertinax to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm sorry that you lost your sentimental items.

For me, the halfcrowns of George V are sentimental, such as this:

When I was a kid, my granny got a payment of 10 shillings (50p) every 3 months from the Ministry of Defence. She collected George V halfcrowns after she got the payment, put them aside, so that she could give one to each of her 4 grandchildren. She used to corner us, one by one, and say "I've got a silver penny for you." I was well aware that they were half silver and I used to save mine when I could, but I was always short of money, so invariably they got spent eventually.

Whenever I see one, especially well-circulated ones, I think of my granny's generosity.

It would have been nicer too if they had been real silver pennies, however I'm sure my granny would never have seen one.
Life Fellow, Royal Numismatic Society

My wants list: http://goccf.com/t/283145
Pillar of the Community
United States
1227 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2012  10:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ninamason to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't have a picture, however, I have a lovely mid-grade (it's one of those coins for which I wish there was a grade between AU and XF) 1908 IHC that I picked out of my cash drawer. There is a story here . . .

. . . when I was six years old, my sister--who is half Native American--received an 1878 (100 years before her birth) IHC for Christmas. I don't remember much about it, but I do remember it seeming very shiny for such an old coin, so I'm guessing it may have been a slabbed item. I was super-jealous of my sister's cool-looking coin (which she got in a refrigerator box--I think I was even more jealous that she got to unwrap like twenty boxes to find it), and for my eighth birthday, one of my cousins gave me a 1908 IHC, "eight because you're eight" (I'm guessing an 1888 wasn't available).

It sat on my dresser for three weeks, having survived the obligatory trip to school to show off.

Then our house was broken into.

We lost several hundred dollars' worth of CDs, VHS (this was back before DVDs were a thing), Super Nintendo games, most of my mother's vinyl record collection . . . and my entire collection of cassette tapes (this was also back before mp3s, or even MIDI files, were a thing).

Which had been sitting right next to my IHC. My suddenly-missing IHC.

Lots of tears and rage commenced, and for well over ten years I refused to collect coins even though I was fascinated whenever my mom's collection came out of a drawer. I couldn't imagine why anyone would want to take someone else's nice things, and I'd lost mine so completely and so suddenly that the idea of trying to "replace" them was totally not happening. Some well-meaning relative tried to replace my favourite cassette, and I flat-out trashed the replacement in rage because the brand-new case told me very well it wasn't actually mine (that cassette also had a sentimental story attached).

And then I started working at Circle K.

And one day I opened a roll of pennies, and my mouth fell open as a 1908 IHC--my 1908 IHC--spilled out.

I don't know that it's the same one, obviously--and never will. Barring a super-distinctive mark, which the one I received as a child did not have, there's no way to know. But the level of wear is similar, and in my heart I believe that my very first coin found its way back to me, sixteen years later and an entire continent away. Part of that is just romanticism, but part is the feeling of awe and wholeness I felt when I pulled it out of the drawer and felt a whole world open up in my hand--the world that led me to this forum, and discussions of acetone and toning, and the day-making grin when a coin from the teens or an unexpected piece of silver suddenly pops up. No other coin--not my mom's Mercs or California gold piece, not the Chinese coin gifted to me by my grampa, not my uncle's set of buffalo nickels--ever made me want to collect again. This did.

My coin came home. I hope your silver will do the same, Jaymon.

*mods, did you know this combination sets off the bad-word filter even from within a word like this?
Edited by ninamason
09/21/2012 10:15 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19177 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2012  12:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One of the worst parts of home invasions, aside from physical damage to people, is what they take and what they do with that. In most instances the criminals have no idea of the sentamental values of such items. Just as in your case, something of that type of value is just junk to them and in many instances sold as junk. Criminals never get punished for the emotional damage to a persons personal life they create.
just carl
Learn More...
United States
84230 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2012  2:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
mods, did you know this combination sets off the bad-word filter even from within a word like this?
I fixed it.
Valued Member
United States
300 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2012  5:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Night Hawk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a 1859 IHC that was bought for me by my parents when I was around 10, sometime after I got it I decided to "improve" it by cleaning it with baking soda.

I still have that coin, it's one of the few I have left that were bought for me by my parents (who've since passed away) and whenever I see it I'm reminded of them, and of the naive kid who once thought he knew what he was doing.....
Pillar of the Community
United States
843 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2012  5:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaymon74 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all so so much for sharing. I'm not sure if my sentimental items will ever return, but I'll sure hope like you know what! One of the items taken was a very delicate silver chain with a very small silver arrow-head. It was given to me the day I was born by my most favorite Uncle who passed away a little over ten years ago. I didn't even have a picture of it. It does sadden me deeply of it's missing, but also of the fact that people can be so cruel like that.

ninamason, that was a very inspiring story that gives me hope.

just carl, you are absolutely correct. They couldn't care less what it is to someone. It's just money to them.

To the others who posted and the ones who will, thank you so much, I'll keep checking in.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05