Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What's Next For The Quarter Dollar?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 32 / Views: 2,867Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
United States
843 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2012  4:50 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Jaymon74 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm at work today and get my change out of the vending machine. As always I look through it. So I'm looking and I'm seeing a mixture of State Quarters and the 32-98 Washingtons and I wonder "what's next?" Has anyone heard of what the next design will be, or even when?

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***

Valued Member
United States
397 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2012  4:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MadMortician to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Considering we've got ATB coins coming out through 2021 in theory... I don't think we will be seeing any plans for after ATB announced until at least 2017/2018.

Just a guess though.
Pillar of the Community
United States
843 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2012  5:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaymon74 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lol You would be correct on that. I'm impatient I guess.
Valued Member
United States
397 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2012  5:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MadMortician to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a slow day here at work and I was digging around on the net about coin changes... seems to me the only things that have even been considered would be a change in the metals and amounts of those metals we use in coins, and then of course there is always the debate of should we stop making the penny...
Pillar of the Community
United States
843 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2012  5:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaymon74 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, that's kind of what I was wondering. Will the quarter dollar resume it's old face once the ATB is over?
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2012  5:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Will the quarter dollar resume it's old face once the ATB is over?

Its possible but I doubt it. By that point youd have 20+ years of changing reverses, I just have a hard time seeing them bringing back that old design. More likely a complete redesign if they want to have a single reverse
Learn More...
United States
88584 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2012  6:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The ATB can be renewed (at the discretion of the Secretary of the Treasury) for a second round, taking it out to 2033.

The next "permanent" design is supposed to be Washington crossing the Delaware. In other words, the NJ Statehood Quarter Version 2.0.

http://goccf.com/t/115396
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2012  6:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Jbuck if the renewal were to happen would it just be a design recycle or would they switch them up
Edited by basebal21
09/24/2012 6:19 pm
Learn More...
United States
88584 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2012  6:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
(B) Second round at discretion of secretary.
(i) Determination. The Secretary may make a determination before the end of the 9-year period beginning when the first quarter dollar is issued under this subsection to continue the period of issuance until a second national site in each State, the District of Columbia, and each territory referred to in this subsection has been honored with a design on a quarter dollar.
(Emphasis is mine)

New sites, new designs, new order of issue.
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2012  6:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice. I wouldnt be opposed to a 2nd round with new sights at all. I would like to see the crossing the Delaware design as well though so call me impatient. Can we somehow have both?
Valued Member
United States
80 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2012  6:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cursive to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just hope that the remaining first series ATB reverses and the potential second series reverses have distinctive designs, and we don't end up with very many more designs with mountains, pine trees, and maybe a hoofed animal, like the Yosemite, Mt. Hood, Glacier, Olympic, and Denali quarters are.
Edited by cursive
09/24/2012 6:47 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
843 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2012  7:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaymon74 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I really need to spend more time reading about these things. I knew nothing about a possible second series. Thank you for the information update on this.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1903 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2012  8:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add unholyroller to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If they take the run out to 2033 it will probably end there and they won't make anymore quarters for at the rate we are going a quarter will have the buying power of less than a cent!
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2012  8:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
at the rate we are going a quarter will have the buying power of less than a cent!

The cent is more than enough evidence that buying power is of no concern for what coins we have
Learn More...
United States
88584 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2012  4:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If they take the run out to 2033 it will probably end there and they won't make anymore quarters for at the rate we are going a quarter will have the buying power of less than a cent!
You are probably right.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2802 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2012  7:09 pm  Show Profile   Check Darth Morgan's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Darth Morgan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would really like to see the old design come back. The Statehood Quarters look cheap to me, and the new nickel is just horrible, IMO. It looks like a cheap token.
My Eisenhower dollar Complete Variety Set, Circulation Strikes and Proof ( PCGS Registry) - https://www.PCGS.com/SetRegistry/do...edset/119137
Darth Morgan - "The Other Ike dollars" Showcase: https://www.PCGS.com/setregistry/showcase/3354
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 32 / Views: 2,867Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05