Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Usm Rep.: Sales Of 2012 25th Anniv.sets ASE PFs Is 363,440

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
291 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2012  09:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Senex to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Troll?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1209 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2012  09:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Teach to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Going to be a lot of unhappy people if this turns out to be true. I'm still not happy about not knowing about the extra mintage of the normal SF PROOF coin in the C&C set. They didn't tell us about that, so why should they tell us about the real final mintage of this set until the C&C set is sold out. Just playing devil's advocate here. I tend to believe this is all BS, but kind of thought that about Jose Canseco too...haha.
Edited by Teach
10/03/2012 09:49 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4811 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2012  09:59 am  Show Profile   Check Foxwoods Man's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Foxwoods Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
so why should they tell us about the real final mintage of this set until the C&C set is sold out.

Hmmmmm....very good point
Valued Member
United States
377 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2012  2:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wif99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have to wonder just how much of what to me looks like a lot of people returning every coin that is not perfect the mint is going to put up with and what sort of policy change might come of it

I have put up with less than perfect from the mint for 40 plus years.

The handling of my first order changed my whole outlook. If you are in business selling something for a profit it better be perfect or it should be returned.

Any thing less then perfect would not be tolerated in private sector.

I just bought a nice shirt, darn it is missing a button, Oh well close enough
Pillar of the Community
United States
1027 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2012  7:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add clairhardesty to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is simply not true. If you pay $50 or more for a shirt, sure, but if you are paying $15, no way. How much are you willing to pay for 1oz silver coins where the die are retired as soon as a piece of dust dings the field or smooths a spot in the satin device? If every non-perfect (how exactly is that defined) coin struck is waffled and every die pair is retired as soon as it can no longer render perfection, what would these coins cost us so the mint could make only enough profit to keep from creating any red ink? If you want perfection, that is fine but define it and be willing to pay for it. I think that when you have to put a coin under the loupe or microscope to see a defect that you are being picky. You have a right to return as you see fit but I think that we all insisted that every special numismatic coin was perfect to the point of being guaranteed a 70 grade from any TPG that the prices would soon skyrocket.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12932 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2012  9:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
You have a right to return as you see fit but I think that we all insisted that every special numismatic coin was perfect to the point of being guaranteed a 70 grade from any TPG that the prices would soon skyrocket.

I actually agree with both of you. I dont think that the mint should send out coins with imperfections, but I dont think every coin should have to be a 70. Personally I think that the coin should be of the quality that if you look at it youre first impression is that it could be a 70. If you can see something with the nakes eye that immediately tells you no chance like a scratch or significant missing areas it shouldnt have gone out. But I dont really think its reasonable to expect every coin to be placed under a 10x loupe to make sure before sending it out, thats also more than a TPG uses too
Fire A.J. Preller

Go Navy Beat Army
Valued Member
United States
377 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2012  10:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wif99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
You have a right to return as you see fit but I think that we all insisted that every special numismatic coin was perfect to the point of being guaranteed a 70 grade from any TPG that the prices would soon skyrocket.

While I basically agree. When I look at a coin with the naked Eye it better have appeal, not scratches or milk spots especially the S poof set
they are $30 pieces of silver selling for $75 that is quite a markup.
Valued Member
United States
102 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2012  03:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add LXShutter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If you mean that you wonder why they don't publish weekly cancellations, I am not sure that they have ever done that for a product that had gone off sale.

Last year after Grand Canyon ATB was sold out, the Mint continued to update sales figure for several weeks. Into November, I think. I can't think of any other instance. Grand Canyon was weird too, because the sales number at the time of sellout exceeded maximum mintage.

Quote:
There were 251,302 sets ordered so the final number sold will be something less than that.

Maybe! The 251,302 number was posted at 3pm. The sales online continued until 5pm. Some number of mail orders may not have been included in the final number either.

Quote:
I have to wonder just how much of what to me looks like a lot of people returning every coin that is not perfect...

If you counted all the people who have stated online that they returned coins, you might end up with a couple of thousand of sets. We don't know if that translates into a huge flood of returns or just a trickle. I'm fairly sure big dealers did not return too many.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1391 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2012  03:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jmkendall to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Big Dealers; I don't know about. I do know a couple of "Medium" Dealers who sold well at the beginning but when the prices took a nose dive they did cancel their remaining orders. The profit margins just were not there. Regular sets are selling in the $190 range +/- $10. Deduct your fees and your net sale is in the $165 range. Even if you got a nice discount from the Mint your still really really lucky to make a 20 percent profit. More likely 10 to 15 percent. Frankly flipping 90 percent gives you a better margin. I know some B and M dealers that have not sold even ONE set; which really doesn't surprise me. The ordering period was long enough that most, if not all, of my customers ordered their own rather than go through me or another dealer.

I suspect that a conservative estimate would be in the 10 to 15 percent range. But I would not expect it to be much over 20 percent.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1027 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2012  09:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add clairhardesty to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Maybe! The 251,302 number was posted at 3pm. The sales online continued until 5pm. Some number of mail orders may not have been included in the final number either.

The 251,302 number was posted at 3PM on the day after sales concluded. The 3PM number on July 05 was 250,738 meaning that 564 sets sold in the final two hours. Mail orders were not accepted for the set, only internet and phone orders were accepted.

Here are the daily postings (date jumps are weekends, sales were not updated on Saturdays or Sundays). The 08JUN number is for 27 hours, the Monday numbers represent 72 hours since previous report, and the 06JUL report represents the last 2 hours of sales.

07-Jun-2012__________0
08-Jun-2012______85341
11-Jun-2012_____115059
12-Jun-2012_____121304
13-Jun-2012_____125371
14-Jun-2012_____128540
15-Jun-2012_____131512
18-Jun-2012_____135468
19-Jun-2012_____136678
20-Jun-2012_____138863
21-Jun-2012_____141892
22-Jun-2012_____145173
25-Jun-2012_____152047
26-Jun-2012_____156569
27-Jun-2012_____162581
28-Jun-2012_____166836
29-Jun-2012_____175588
02-Jul-2012_____201059
03-Jul-2012_____217351
04-Jul-2012_____245131
05-Jul-2012_____250738
06-Jul-2012_____251302

I kept the daily totals and analyzed them every which way while the sets were being sold.

Quote:
Even if you got a nice discount from the Mint ...

Volume discounts were not available for the SF sets.
Valued Member
United States
102 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2012  12:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add LXShutter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Clair, You're right on the conclusion of the sales. My memory failed me. I still think that some of mail orders didn't make into the final tally.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1027 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2012  1:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add clairhardesty to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There were no mail orders. Only internet and phone orders were accepted.
Valued Member
United States
102 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2012  3:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add LXShutter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
There were no mail orders.

Are you certain? I recall getting a mailing from the mint which included a catalog and an order form that included SF set. My memory could be faulty, but this is from Mint News Blog:
http://mintnewsblog.com/2012/07/san...each-251302/
The number may also increase if the US Mint continues to add orders sent by mail that are postmarked before the sales deadline. The US Mint recently distributed their 2012 Summer Catalog by mail, which included an order form and envelope. The page showcasing the San Francisco Silver Eagle Set did mention the limited ordering window, but didn't provide any specific information with regards to how the deadline would work for mail orders.

and this:
http://mintnewsblog.com/2012/06/san...at-midpoint/
The recent boost may have been driven by the distribution of the US Mint's 2012 Summer Catalog by mail, which featured the San Francisco Set on the back cover.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12932 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2012  3:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I recall getting a mailing from the mint which included a catalog and an order form that included SF set.

I got that too. Other than seeing the set though I didnt look through to see if you could order by mail
Fire A.J. Preller

Go Navy Beat Army
Pillar of the Community
United States
1027 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2012  6:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add clairhardesty to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was sure that the catalog said that you couldn't mail order the set but my memory is nowhere near what it used to be so I may well be wrong. A few days of mail orders at the end would probably be no more than a thousand sets, if that, so it may not matter. I may have to see if I still have a catalog somewhere to find out just how decayed my brain had become with age.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.86 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05