Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2009 Goalie Mask 20 Dollar Coins

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 148 / Views: 20,724Next Topic
Page: of 10
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3690 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2012  02:33 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CC-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The mintage was extremely low but the presentation was great IMO. Does anyone have an opinions why they coins were so unpopular?

I know sports themed coins are not generally winners but these one seem to be completely passed over by collectors.

BTW, there is a Montreal one listed on eBay for a crazy price of 1K. Don't expect it to sell for anything close to that.
Edited by CC-Ottawa
10/02/2012 03:14 am
Valued Member
Canada
457 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2012  02:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add falcon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Make him an offer of lol
Better put that in caps LOL
:-)
Valued Member
Canada
234 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2012  09:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ksimms3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1K? lol I'm seeing a bunch of them for 50$ on ebay

I just checked, the mint only sold 1,488 from all teams in 2009.

Edited by ksimms3
10/02/2012 09:40 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3690 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2012  09:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CC-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Montreal version seems to be the most sought after (highest price, hardest to find) but they are definitely available well below the $74.95 issue price.

Actual Mintages:
Calgary 125
Edmonton 147
Montreal 748
Ottawa 95
Toronto 244
Vancouver 129

Expected mintages were 10,000 back in 2009. By just about any definition, this series was a flop.
Edited by CC-Ottawa
10/02/2012 10:07 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2341 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2012  11:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kuh_85 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Montreal is the only one I paid over issue for. Took a few months of looking on eBay to find it though. The rest were easy and cheap. Just got a Calgary for less than half issue.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3690 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2012  11:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CC-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I got my MTL from the RCM so it was at issue. Also have a couple of OTT - one at issue from RCM and one well below issue. Haven't bothered with the other (lesser) teams.

I bought the Canadiens because the series was commemorating Jacques Plante first wearing a mask and he was playing with them then so it seemed most appropriate.

BTW, the eBay seller with the $999 coin has the same item on his company website for just $850 and he says it's tax exempt .9999 even though it is .925 and therefore taxable. No worries though, I seriously doubt he'll sell it.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
798 Posts
 Posted 11/01/2015  4:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JGG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Actual Mintages:
Montreal 748
Toronto 244

Number of Coins out there:

Montreal (Maybe 40)
Toronto (Maybe 40)

An interesting little note: Most of these coins were purchased by a company that intended on creating a memorabilia item for these two teams. The idea was to encase the raw coins in pyrite with a small signature plaque. The hot pyrite melted the coloured logo on the coin, and the coins went back to the melting pot. I know that the HomeShoppiNGChannel sold 20 sets (which took over a month), and I am assuming that the RCM also sold some via the website. Anyway, I'd be surprised if there were more than 50 of each of the Montreal and Toronto coins out there. Pretty interesting all in all. I saw one for sale on eBay in 2009, and again in 2011. In 2009, the Canadiens coins sold for about $80. In 2011, it sold for $1000. PMX Corp got a raw one and sold it for $350 in 2012. If you check the Canada S$20 Commemorative NGC registry sets, these are the two coins that the big sets are missing, along with some of the plain edge Olympic ones. If you own one, it is one of the few times that an RCM modern commemorative has soared in value since it was issued.

The other teams are easy to find, and generally sell below the issue price.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
798 Posts
 Posted 11/01/2015  4:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JGG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From Wikipedia "In October 2008, the RCM issued six sterling silver coins with a $20 Face Value. Each coin had the goalie mask of one of the six Canadian hockey teams. In the case of the Toronto Maple Leafs and Montreal Canadiens Goalie Mask coins, it is believed that the surviving mintage is less than 50."
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2227 Posts
 Posted 11/01/2015  5:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add darryldarryl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have two of the Maple Leaf coins tucked away.
I could swear that I saw some Montreal and Toronto ones selling for $50 or $60 bucks each.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4764 Posts
 Posted 11/01/2015  6:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just can't imagine this series and the hockey minipuck loonies mintage figures are correct, can't get around setting up presses to run like 29 units, why not 50 or 100, but these are some of the reported mintages.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2227 Posts
 Posted 11/01/2015  6:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add darryldarryl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Once the Mint advertises the coin I guess they are committed to minting whatever is ordered by customers.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
4764 Posts
 Posted 11/01/2015  7:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Understand, but one would think Canada post outlets would have ordered more than 29 units or even Gatewest, and so on there are many of these odd units on the HSN big block busters deals 40 different items for 299.00 etc.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2227 Posts
 Posted 11/01/2015  7:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add darryldarryl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am thinking of listing one of them on Ebay at a higher price just to see what the response will be like.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6101 Posts
 Posted 11/01/2015  7:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Just can't imagine this series and the hockey minipuck loonies mintage figures are correct, can't get around setting up presses to run like 29 units, why not 50 or 100, but these are some of the reported mintages.

It's important to note that the RCM reports sales totals in its Annual Reports not mintage figures. Actual mintage figures are typically higher, but unsold coins are destroyed after a year leaving the number of coins sold as the pool available to collectors going forward.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4764 Posts
 Posted 11/01/2015  7:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have talked to many post masters and they say they can't return coins to Nova Scotia, they discount till their sold, yet Canada Post outlets at Shopper drugs send their unsold units back somewhere, but anyway, it defies logic to see only 29 or even a hundred units of a 40.00 unit sold through the vast RCM network, but who knows
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3690 Posts
 Posted 11/01/2015  7:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CC-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Have to agree. These coins are just too common to support those reported mintages despite what might be on Wikipedia. Is it just me or was that information about 50 coins edited/added today. Rather curious timing.

I now own 8 of these coins. One of each team and 3 Ottawa. Two came from the Mint at issue and the rest were from two big dealers. I got some of them, including Toronto, from Canadian Coins and Currency for less than 50 dollars each before tax. If they were truly rare, Steven Bromberg would not be selling them at a discount IMO.

Edited by CC-Ottawa
11/01/2015 7:47 pm
Page: of 10 Previous TopicReplies: 148 / Views: 20,724Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05