Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

New Low-Grade CC Morgan

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 2,358Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
66 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2012  11:37 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Rounder to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I decided to start a certified low-grade Morgan CC set. Here is the first of the set I picked up from my LCS. This will probably take me awhile to put together but should be fun to work on. I will continue to post pictures as I acquire more pieces to this set. Feel free to post pictures of yours as well, I enjoy looking at them. Thanks!

Pillar of the Community
United States
3271 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2012  12:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add murrellington to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

And that is awesome! I love seeing worn large dollars like that. Especially neat being a cc.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1210 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2012  7:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hondo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
beautiful coin. great start to what will be a great collection.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1411 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2012  7:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Windchild to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful 189-CC Morgan!

It's really hard to do a lowball set of CC Morgan dollars as so few circulated!
Edited by Windchild
11/11/2012 7:24 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3167 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2012  7:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add noahs-numismatics to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1730 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2012  7:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coincollect1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you dont mind me asking, how much did that cost?
Valued Member
United States
66 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2012  8:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rounder to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coincollect1 it cost me $90 dollars.The funny thing is I looked at this coin around a year ago when I was at the shop and he told me $50 for it and I passed on it then to buy a 1882o ms63 NGC morgan with beautiful toning on the reverse.I regret not buying the 1891cc then tho.But atleast he still had it this time.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6814 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2012  8:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful coin ... and welcome to the wonderful collecting experience of chasing honestly-worn coins.

I have a few in my set ... but this is about you.

David
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
1028 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2012  8:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hesgut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Beautiful coin

Quote:
Nice!

Quote:
Beautiful 189-CC Morgan!

Quote:
beautiful coin.

Hmmm, to each his own I suppose.

It's a 1891-CC...a FR02 could probably be had for silver spot. For $90, you could have had an F-12. I'm not sure if you were trying to pay extra just to get the lowball set.

I've seen a 21-D poor-1 sell for $250, just because it's technically the extreme rarity in the lowball set. That buyer could of coarse, have paid spot and rubbed it down themselves and made one of his own, but, well?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1210 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2012  10:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hondo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
hesgut, we all have our own opinions and tastes. Of course, you are entitled to yours!
If I may, as a circulated coin lover, the attraction to these coins is more about the living history than anything.

As they are beautiful to some, it's hard to argue that they are as nice looking as a high grade Morgan with edge toning.

But... How many old west bars did this coin close across? Was someone in a saloon with mark twain or doc Holliday with this coin in their pocket? The intrigue of these coins is ALL in the history!

I hope I don't sound condescending... Not my intention at all.
Valued Member
United States
66 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2012  10:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rounder to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hesgut , yes I could have gotten a higher grade for around the same money. But I am putting together a lowball set.

As far as buying one and rubbing it down myself doesn't really have the same history as buying a real circulated coin.

Sometimes it costs the same amount for a higher grade as it does for a lower grade for example an 1885cc PCGS will cost around the same in AG3 as it will in MS63. I assume it is due to the rarity of the coin being so worn but I may be wrong.
Thanks
Edited by Rounder
11/11/2012 11:26 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2734 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2012  10:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DNA to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm assembling a raw AG-3 CC Morgan Set.
My 1893-CC on the left is flirting with FR-02, especially the reverse.

One reason why I love my VG-8 and AG-3 1884-CC's: 84.7% of all the 1884-CC Morgans ever minted stayed in the vault until they were sold in the GSA sales 1972-80!

Quote:
I assume it is due to the rarity of the (1885-CC) being so worn

If that was true, a worn '84-CC would be worth even more. I've had over a dozen raw 1885-CC's in AG-3 to choose from, but the only 1884-CC AG-3 I've ever seen in person is the coin above!
1885-CC's are rare in all grades, and only 65% of the mintage was sold by the GSA.
Edited by DNA
11/11/2012 10:55 pm
Learn More...
United States
16357 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2012  11:31 pm  Show Profile   Check vermontensium's eBay Listings Check vermontensium's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
DNA, the 93-CC is right on the border of FR2/AG3 IMO. I'm actually leaning more toward AG. The 1884 appears to be G4...maybe.
ANA LM1214396
U.S. Colonial and Large Cent fanatic.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2734 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2012  11:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DNA to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The 1884 appears to be G4...maybe

With rim wear past the edges of letters and numbers on both sides?

My "no-denticles" worn-rim 1879-CC and 1890-CC AG-3's nonetheless have all
the edges of their letters intact, unlike this '84.

Okay, I have to admit that even PCGS has been a bit lenient with circulated CC Morgans,
and that the '84's Liberty and Eagle are G-4 detail level.
Edited by DNA
11/11/2012 11:47 pm
Learn More...
United States
16357 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2012  11:55 pm  Show Profile   Check vermontensium's eBay Listings Check vermontensium's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Okay, I have to admit that even PCGS has been a bit lenient with circulated CC Morgans,
and that the '84's Liberty and Eagle are G-4 detail level.

ANA LM1214396
U.S. Colonial and Large Cent fanatic.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2734 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2012  12:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DNA to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, vermontensium, didn't mean to freak you out, ,
but I've seen my fair share of PCGS G-4 CC Morgans that really should be AG-3's, strictly speaking.
No rim denticles left on either side of the coin should be an automatic AG-3,
but PCGS has skated many better/key Morgans up to G-4 because of the Liberty/Eagle
(including a few 1893-S coins, and that grade inflation is more significant there than for any CC!).
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 2,358Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.69 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05