Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Arrgghhh...why Do Fools Polish Good Silver Dollars?

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2012  2:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I agree, basebal21. I've liked my coins white, but I'm learning to accept some toning, spots, etc. to be as close as possible to the coin's original skin. "Blast white" classic coins probably aren't such a blast in the long run.

Personally I like blast white and probably wont change on that but who knows. A blast white coin can always tone but a toned coin cant return to blast white.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2357 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2012  3:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bacchus2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There was a period of time that cleaning coins was perfectly acceptible to the collecting community. Even worse than that, (a few hundred years ago) collectors of large medalic ancients used to stamp their "collection" mark on them, write catalogue numbers in Indian ink on them and do all sorts of things that people would faint over now.

So, yes, ignorance up to a point - but some cleaning type damage was done because it was the norm at that time.
Learn More...
United States
83885 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2012  10:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
One word - IGNORANCE
I agree. Most of the time this happens because they just do not know any better.
Valued Member
United States
308 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2012  1:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JobIII to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some people just see coins for their silver content. :(
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1554 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2012  01:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add glenzy1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For some reason people (non-Numismatists) associate coins with cars. The shinier the car, the more attention it will attract and the greater the chance of it being sold?

Glenn
Learn More...
United States
14454 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2012  5:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Its stuff like this that really makes me scream WHY! As it was never considered "alright" within the collecting community. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1838-AU-CAP...em564e769ca5

For those of you that can't surf eBay at work here is the picture

Learn More...
United States
83885 Posts
Valued Member
United States
308 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2012  09:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JobIII to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think that coin would fall technically fall into the category of love tokens. I believe this was an accepted practice at one time or another. Not saying it's right to deface one side of these coins, but they are fun to see.
Learn More...
United States
14454 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2012  1:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
most love tokens I have seen had initials of the loved one on one side and those I love and have quite a few of them. I have never seen anything like this being called a love token as usually the one side is machined down to be smooth before it is etched with the initials. This just looks like a damaged Half Dollar to me
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1554 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2012  5:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add glenzy1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Be nice to know who they are. We could take them out to a back alley and educate 'em!

Glenn
Valued Member
United Kingdom
280 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2012  10:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinaholic73 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm buying and selling a little on ebay at the moment, and this is something I've come accross that's really annoying and nothing to do with silver...

bronze/copper buffing! Whoever did this lobbed a zero off the value of the coin probably.

Valued Member
United States
71 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2012  01:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add craig piette to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had a guy suggest I polish that icky dark dollar ... a 1799 flowing hair ... I had to educate him ...
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.58 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05