Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection Modern: 1994 World Cup Coins - Part II

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 3,900Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7552 Posts
 Posted 12/13/2012  7:29 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Following up on my previous 1994 World Cup coins post...

The US commemorative coin program for the 1994 World Cup consisted of three coins (half-dollar, silver dollar and gold half-eagle) that were available as proof and uncirculated strikes. In addition to its standard clamshell-style cases for individual coins and two- and three-coin sets, the US Mint also produced a number of special packages for the half-dollar and silver dollar coins.

These included a Young Collector's Set featuring cartoon characters and an uncirculated clad half-dollar, and a World Cup '94 Collectors Set which included proof versions of the half-dollar and dollar coins in a CD-style jewel case with a "special edition" insert. (I'll present these in Part III of my post about the World Cup coins.)

Less common are the coin sets that were put together for each of the US World Cup venues. Cup matches were played at nine locations around the US:
  • Boston: Foxboro Stadium (in Foxboro, MA)

• Chicago: Soldier Field

• Dallas: Cotton Bowl

• Detroit: Pontiac Silverdome

• Los Angeles: Rose Bowl (in Pasadena, CA)

• New York/New Jersey: Giants Stadium (in East Rutherford, NJ)

• Orlando: Citrus Bowl

• San Francisco: Stanford Stadium (in Palo Alto, CA)

• Washington, DC: RFK Stadium

The championship game was played in the Rose Bowl on 17 July 1994.

The US Mint prepared coin sets for each of the match locations. The sets include either one proof coin (half-dollar) or two proof coins (half-dollar and silver dollar plus an eight-panel, folded insert/brochure that features general information about the World Cup, as well as information specific to each match site. The coin and brochure were packaged in CD-style jewel cases, and were available on-site at each match location.

Tracking down the sets for each location can be difficult. Over the years I've encountered sets from several of the sites, but, until my recent purchase of a complete set, not all of them. Also, a number of the individual sets I've seen were incomplete, lacking the COA insert that originally came with the package.

Following are images of one of the match site Coin Sets â€" the New York/New Jersey set.

First up, is the front cover of the plastic jewel case with the front panel of the insert/brochure that is included with each set visible. The front panel of the insert for each site features cityscape graphics and titling text related to the individual match site; all of the inserts also feature the soccer ball graphic, though in different locations (see below).

Next is the interior coin tray of the case.

The back of the jewel case features a panel showing all of the site-specific Coin Sets.

The four interior panels of the insert feature information and graphics about the World Cup tournament and trophy; these panels are the same for all site-specific Coin Sets.

(Did you spot the typo?)

The site-specific information for each package appears on two of the insert's exterior panels. The example panels shown here feature details about the matches to be played at Giants Stadium in the New Jersey Meadowlands and places to record the scores of local matches played.

The remaining exterior panel features "Striker" the official mascot of the Cup and a scorecard (of sorts) for the matches of the Third Stage.

Each set also includes a Certificate of Authenticity with the specifications for the coin(s) included in the set.

I've posted many times about the relatively scarce ephemera and related packaging items for the classic US commemorative coins, I believe these site-specific World Cup sets will be among tomorrow's tougher to find items for the modern series.

Read More: Commems Collection
Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Learn More...
United States
112450 Posts
 Posted 12/14/2012  11:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had no idea so much additional material existed for this program.

Thank you for sharing!
Pillar of the Community
United States
965 Posts
 Posted 12/14/2012  11:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1967Canadapenny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the info
  Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 3,900Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: