Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Novice Buyer..needs Help Identifying Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United Kingdom
12 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2012  1:03 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Normanity to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Im a novice and don't know where to start. They are on ebay so I cant get any diff pics.

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2357 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2012  1:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bacchus2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The French 5 Francs - bottom right looks distinctly odd.

To be honest if you don't know what you are doing and can't be reasonably sure what you are buying is legitimate and reasonably priced, Ebay is the place to be badly burned. Yes there are some bargains (not that many) but there are a lot of problems there too. Local coin shows are a better place to find your feet in coin collecting. Sure there will be guys there who will happily overcharge you but if you are in a local coin club and you examine dealers wares in partnerships you'll be fine.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
736 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2012  2:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rooneydog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Normanity,

Judging by some of the other items sold by al****1 over the last couple of days, unless you are prepared to accept you may receive 6 copies (fakes, tokens, whatever) I would probably not bother. The Peace dollar, Trade dollar and mexico 8 Reales also on offer cannot surely be real but saying that I expect the Australian Crown is but I am no expert?

FYI the top right is meant to be this http://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces12866.html

Happy bidding!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3258 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2012  2:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add matthewvincent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I recommend en.numista.com as well.
It is a trading place and not a retail site.
You need not even join to do research. Based in France, there are both an English and a French version.
They will advise if eBay has any of a particular coin currently for sale.
Lots of detail as to coin characteristics.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12437 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2012  6:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do you see the brown stains on the two lower right coins? That is most likely rust from the counterfeits being struck on steel planchets, always a bad sign
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05