Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection: 1936 York Revisited

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 1,154Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5937 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2013  11:09 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
In my previous post on the York County, Maine Tercentenary half-dollar (http://goccf.com/t/118865), I mentioned that in addition to the two coins I presented I had one in an old PCGS "Rattler" holder. (For those unfamiliar with this term, it came from the simple fact that coins encapsulated in such holders "rattled" when handled.). I came across the piece while "visiting" my coins at the bank over weekend and thought I would share it here today.

It's a nice white coin with brilliant cartwheel luster on the obverse and reverse. The PCGS holder has gone through quite a number of updates since its inception in 1986, this specific style of PCGS holder was in use from 1986 into the summer of 1989. So, this particular York has been in a holder for at least 24 years and maybe as long 26+! I like having a few of my commemoratives in these old-style holders as a reminder of the early days of certification and "slabbing." So, even though I have a higher graded example of the York, I will likely never sell this one.

Read More: Commems Collection

I also thought I'd share some images of the Tercentenary Program published by the York County Tercentenary Committee. It's definitely not an "MS" example of the program, but it's a neat piece of original ephemera related to the coin. The pamphlet unfolds to yield a historical map of "Olde York County" - I imaged the top and bottom halves separately to provide the best (most readable) view I could.

Enjoy!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Learn More...
United States
101057 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2013  12:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I love maps almost as much as coins. Pictorial maps are especially nice.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3451 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2013  5:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinsKelly to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is something else. A real piece of art. Thank you for sharing the materials that were available with the commemoratives when they were issued!
Valued Member
United States
454 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2013  6:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fromms2244 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Commens, thanks for your continued dedication in our education. I look forward to reading all of your posts.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1347 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2013  7:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ArrowsAndRays to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wonderful ephemera. commens! I grew up about where the Indian is salmon fishing!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1511 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2013  8:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NathanASE to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with all, especially Jbuck, I also love old maps! Thanks for sharing!!
Valued Member
United States
386 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2013  07:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add blackjack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's another beautiful commemorative half dollar. No, I wouldn't sell it either. I see those old rattler holders in the coin shop I patronize. I like them.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7121 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2013  9:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Many thanks again for the informative post commems ... enjoying all that you share with us.

David
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8901 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2013  1:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Moe145 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Very valuable info and beautiful coin!!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5937 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2013  7:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for the positive feedback!

@ArrowsAndRays: And how many salmon did you catch?

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1347 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2013  8:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ArrowsAndRays to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The salmon were gone in days of old, Commens. Plenty of alewife though, in the spring you could catch them with a bucket!!
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 1,154Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05