Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Long necks  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
167 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2013  10:03 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add jamesicus to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Many collectors and scholars theorize that some of the early unmarked coinage produced at the reopened (by Constantius in AD 296/297) London Mint was designed by British die engravers - formerly employed by the Carausius/Allectus London Mint - now supervised and/or mixed in with Lugdunese/Unknown Continental Mint die engravers who accompanied the Constantius invasion force. Some of these issues often have the small Carausius/Allectus style portrait busts on long necks (described by Sutherland as "ugly") typical of some of the Carausius/Allectus London Mint engravers:

O: IMP C CARAVSIVS PF AVG
R: PAX AVG (S ..... P)
RIC vol 5(2) Carausius, London, No. 475

O: IMP C ALLECTVS PF AVG
R: ML (S ..... A)
RIC vol 5(2) Allectus, London, 33

O: FL VAL CONSTANTIVS NOB C
R: GENIO POPVLI ROMANI
RIC vol VI Constantius, London, No. 14a

O: MAXIMIANVS NOB CAES
R: GENIO POPVLI ROMANI
RIC vol VI Galerius, London, No. 15

Edit added: Compare the above Constantius with the following later (intermediate) issue with much nicer portraiture by undoubtedly former Lugdunese/Unknown Continental Mint die engravers - but still with a somewhat elongated neck, maybe due to the influence of British die engravers:

James
James
Britannic coinage of Constantius (294-306) - Restorer of Secessionist Britain to the Roman Empire: http://jp29.org/cdir.htm
Edited by jamesicus
01/26/2013 12:20 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1316 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2013  10:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eng5858 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

James, very nice set of coins, I've seen LN's before, but they all have great detail and well centered...very nice group..
Valued Member
United States
167 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2013  10:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jamesicus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Eng5858. Pleases see the added edit to my original post.

James
James
Britannic coinage of Constantius (294-306) - Restorer of Secessionist Britain to the Roman Empire: http://jp29.org/cdir.htm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4715 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2013  10:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chrsmat71 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
these always make me chuckle a bit....your group is really nice!
Valued Member
United States
167 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2013  10:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jamesicus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks chrsmat71

James
James
Bedrock of the Community
10045 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2013  2:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice examples of this type!
These elongations were obviously intentional, and since much of pre-modern art is full of symbolism, I wonder what was meant by these incredibly exaggerated necks? Some animals can stretch their necks when they are alert and scanning the horizon for danger--something I think about every time I see these coins.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2044 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2013  2:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gil-galad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've seen some long necks on Probus coins as well. Not as long as those London mint coins but still long.

Valued Member
United States
167 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2013  4:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jamesicus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the input DVCollector and Gil-galad.

.......... and, of course, also found on Julio-Claudian coinage (especially coins of Claudius) typified by this Sestertius of mine:

RIC Vol I, CLAUDIUS, Rome, No.99 (AD 41-50)

and this As:

RIC Vol I, CLAUDIUS, Rome, No. 113 (AD 50)

James

James
Edited by jamesicus
01/26/2013 4:33 pm
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
3802 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2013  4:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ben to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like the Long Necks - bizare design. Heres one from my recent uncleaned lot which has some rocky encrustations on it, but you can see the neck. I reckon its probus because his coins often have the elongated neck.

Pillar of the Community
United States
5155 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2013  8:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ancientnoob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another early long neck,

Nero AR Tetradrachm Antioch, Syria

Regnal year 8, Caesarian year 110
61/62 AD. 14.05g
Obverse: NERWNOS KAISAROS SEBASTOU, laureate bust right, wearing aegis.
Reverse: Eagle standing left on thunderbolt, palm branch before, H/IP behind.

Pillar of the Community
United States
4715 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2013  10:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chrsmat71 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
very nice nero...dang.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
925 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2013  7:14 pm  Show Profile   Check Masis's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Masis to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Since the "long neck" is a style seen on coins of the Julio-Claudian era, then it may not be exclusive to the Carausian era. Maybe it gave an "extraordinary" look to an emperor, to set them apart from the ordinary civilians.

Rather like the way Diocletian started that trend of having the emperors looks the same, with a "bullish" look to them, to look intimidating to civilians.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.86 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05