Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Zanzibar 1 Pysa 1299ah (1882)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Bedrock of the Community
10045 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2013  6:44 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I picked up this coin recently--isn't it a cool design? It's copper, 26mm and 6.44gr.

Pillar of the Community
United States
4208 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2013  7:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fioti to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is neat. Are the scales meant to represent justice, or trade?
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16118 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2013  7:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was luck enough to retrieve one of these in red nearly uncirculated out of a junk box, many years ago.
Bedrock of the Community
10045 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2013  7:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah--the scales make this coin! I'm unsure the significance of the design.
Nice find from a junk box, Sel!
Pillar of the Community
United States
501 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2013  08:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wheatiefan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like this coin. It has been on my want list for a while but I have yet to acquire it.

There are a few reasons to like it:

1. It has arabic script and a picture. Lots of Islamic coins don't have any pictures at all, only script.
2. It's a big copper coin. Those are easy to like.
3. It's from a country/"coin issuing entity" which didn't last long and only issued a few types of coins.
4. You can use it as letter Z in your alphabet of coins.

Pillar of the Community
United States
567 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2013  7:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jcmworld to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The prohibition on portraiture on Islamic gold and silver coins comes from the Koran, copper coinage was not (for the longest time) considered to be "money" but acted in a form of a token; it had no intrinsic value but represented fractions of gold and silver money to facilitate small transactions.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1827 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2013  8:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add snowman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like this design too. I put off buying one of these for years. Then one showed up in vf condition in a bulk lot that I bought.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1511 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2013  9:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NathanASE to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very very nice! Wow, it seems alot of us just got these.. My mother bought me a 9 coin lot at a flee market she was selling at, including this, 7 other pre 1900 & a 1735 Dutch VOC East Indies for $4.. (I posted the story Under the main coin forum). I'd say she got a darn good deal!! I love my mom!

Yours looks a bit nicer than mine though! I absolutely love the design around the edge of the rim! If you don't mind me asking how much did you get yours for? I've been having a hard time valuing it..

Bedrock of the Community
10045 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2013  10:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nathan, it sounds like you get an awesome deal! I like the design too, and I paid $10 for mine. Krause gives a value of $15 in VF.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1511 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2013  10:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NathanASE to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, $15 for VF.. Mines a little more worn than yours.. One of the scale lines is pretty worn.. The rest looks about the same... I really like it though! I just started a pre 1900 foreign collection too so it was perfect! And I was born in 1982, so I like coins 100 years before my b-day.. Trying to get many from 1882..

Ya for $4 I'm super happy with mom! She got flowers today! Lol.
This was the whole lot.. You can't see the coins in the pics, I'll take them all out to photo and post on here but you can see the dates and what they are on the 2x2.. All for $4... I couldn't believe it when she handed them to me! She called and said she got 9 foreign coins for 4$... So I was expecting newer coins.. When I went to pick them up it was a pleasant surprise!

Pillar of the Community
United States
797 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2013  11:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CGCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They are awesome coins, I picked up the same one for, well, I cant remember, but it resides in my OFEC set and is one of my favorite coins even tho it may not have tons of value, Unique piece of history!
Pillar of the Community
Australia
619 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2019  02:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Squire Wilson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is the Zanzibar Pysa that I picked up today. Dated Arabic year 1299 or 1882 AD.
I love the coppery iridescent sheen. It appears that the coin has aged well.

From my research it appears that the 1882 coins were struck in the Royal Belgian Mint in Brussels.

According to https://coinquest.com/cgi-bin/cq/co...l?coin=21611 the Scales are "Scales of Justice".
On the other hand, according to http://numis.org/coins-of-the-month/ the Scales are symbolic of the extensive trade that flowed through Zanzibar.

From Coin Community Family member "Sap" description at http://goccf.com/t/31210 "The Arabic legend reads, "Sultan Sa'id bin Barghash bin Sultan" in the central three lines, and "Allah hafizahu" (May Allah guard him) at top and bottom. Here's the Wikipedia article https://www.coincommunity.com/refer..._of_Zanzibar on this Sultan".

According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pysa the Sultans name was incorrectly rendered and there appears to be at least one spelling mistaek in this script.
In particular, Bargash was the son of Sayyid Said and not vice-versa (as written on the coin).

Squire

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.75 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05