Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Possibly The Worst Grading I Have Seen Yet

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 30 / Views: 10,675Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1264 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2007  4:07 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add hadleydog to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Saw this across the street, and just had to share. The coin was sold on ebay, for just over $300.

Image: woah.jpg
48.21 KB

Image: woahrev.jpg
46.62 KB

Edited by hadleydog
04/19/2007 4:08 pm
Valued Member
United States
414 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2007  4:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add monster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When they used "PL", I guess, they meaned the whole coin was so worn that it became a mirror. Wow!
Pillar of the Community
United States
547 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2007  4:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ChristinaM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I think I'm going to be sick...
Valued Member
United States
69 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2007  2:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim M. to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have to agree, that is the worst grading I have ever seen! The coin might be an XF40 at best, but a real grading service might not slab it at all due to the digs on the cheek.

"Grading services" like this one are nothing short of crooks who are looking to prey on beginning collectors and inexperienced investors looking to make some quick $$. I would hate to see a WCG AU-50, it would probably be an AG-3 with a hole drilled in it . ~Jim
Pillar of the Community
United States
675 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2007  6:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Thundercoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This coin is proof that all it takes is 2 naive buyers to send the price of a coin WAY up. Hopefully the buyer learns their lesson before they end up spending thousands on these type of "GEM UNC" coins!
Rest in Peace
United States
2684 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2007  8:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Morgan Fred to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VF-30 at its very best, more likely F-12. However, it appears it's also been cleaned as evidenced by the dirt hiding in the protected areas around the stars, in the letters, and around the devices' edges. We tore apart WCG in this topic: https://www.coincommunity.com/forum...PIC_ID=12091

Yeah, it's Prooflike alright as mentioned by others: proof that WCG is just another scam slabber. However, this is close to the worst overgrading I've seen with up to 54 points overgraded. Makes NNC and SGS look like model slabbers.

Fred

Pillar of the Community
United States
1984 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2007  11:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add halfabustisbetter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd laugh if it weren't so terribly sad. For all collectors, really.
Pillar of the Community
United States
772 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2007  08:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jdheyne to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would say this is atleast a VF-30 details, but as already pointed out, the dings on the cheek...
Wings feathers are strong and a decent amount of head feathers.
This coin sold for XF-45 price, so it wasn't too bad, still definately more than what it should have.
Valued Member
United States
171 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2007  10:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dcarr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Perhaps WCG grades on a scale of 1-100 instead of 1-70 ?
Even if they do, the "PL" designation is inexplicable.

Regardless of the plastic, the coin grades EF-40 at best (not counting the zits on the cheek).
Rest in Peace
United States
2684 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2007  10:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Morgan Fred to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Among my Morgans (mostly MS except for the scarcer ones), I have a 93CC graded by PCGS as VF-30 which shows a less wear than this 04-S. And my VF-30 was graded several years ago before PCGS decided to "tighten up" its grading standards. I'll stay with my F-10, might even go up to F-15, but no higher. That's my guess and I'm sticking to it.

More to the point, based on the images, the 04-S would likely not grade at all by a REAL top TPG since it appears to have been cleaned.

WCG is approaching fraud levels. Hadleydog, do you happen to have the eBay auction number? It's high time we started paying closer attention to this seller/slabber.

Fred
Pillar of the Community
United States
764 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2007  10:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add littleboy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
it looks polished too.
Rest in Peace
United States
2684 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2007  5:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Morgan Fred to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
littleboy, yes, it may have been polished as well as cleaned. It has that buffed look about it. In any instance, I'm fairly certain this is an altered coin and is thus not eligible for slabbing, even by a golddigger like WCG.
Valued Member
United States
447 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2007  02:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CCya to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just sad very , very sad !! Any other comments at this moment escapes me .

The Horror,, The horror !!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1264 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2007  5:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hadleydog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Morgan Fred, the ebay seller/slabber is ravalexcoins.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...110106146653
Edited by hadleydog
04/25/2007 5:51 pm
Valued Member
United States
69 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2007  7:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim M. to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the link, Hadleydog. I just checked out a few of this joker's current and completed auctions. This is FRAUD, plain and simple. Not even a cut-rate "junk" slab company would do things like this with HONEST intentions. Cleaned, scuffy and nicked-up AU coins cannot be MS67, they can't even be MS60!

This is by far the single most egregious scam "slabber" I have ever seen. Whoever is behind WCG has to be guilty of some real crime. Hopefully, as the complaints pile up, someone will take action to stop this. A lot of would-have-been collectors are going to get burned bad, and give up on our great hobby before they ever really get started.~Jim
Rest in Peace
United States
2684 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2007  7:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Morgan Fred to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hadleydog, thanks for the auction URL. I reported one of his auctions to eBay for excessive shipment which is $8 per coin WITHOUT the insurance. It should cost less than $2 to mail such a coin via USPS. eBay WILL respond if enough people report ravalexcoins for excessive shipping costs; eBay has demonstrated it couldn't care less about overgrades, even to this degree.

So, everyone, start clicking on "Report this auction" at the very bottom of his auctions. It can't do any harm, might even help.

If we could only get bidders to read his feedback before they bid...

Fred
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 30 / Views: 10,675Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: