Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1952 Mint Set

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 5,103Next Topic
Page: of 2
Learn More...
Canada
9467 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2013  09:18 am  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The ICCS Population Report would suggest otherwise.

I have a 1951 cent in a ICCS holder, graded PL-63 Red. It is an older style flip, with the embossed certificate.

That said, I know it is a misattributed specimen strike. I even showed it to Brian Cornwell recently, and he admitted that it was "probably a specimen"... I keep it in the old PL flip, more as a novelty item. It just goes to show that when it comes to your collecting series, learn the strikes and trust your eyes, more than population reports.
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Valued Member
Canada
190 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2013  4:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cameron93 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not saying that Charest is the ultimate authority... but I'm guessing his work is held in regard... if there were not any sets issued in 1951 and 1952 why would this information be published in Charest 2009 guide...?

It states that, "from 1951 to 1953, the coins were inserted in white cardboard and sealed in clear cellophane..."

Note: this pic is from a previous reply to a post in 2009 by "chadcoins"...

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1581 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2013  4:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dialog_gvf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

An SP labelled PL is annoying. But, that implies there could be PL labelled SP too!

United States
1 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2020  2:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Prooflike to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A 1952 Canada mint set could be purchased from the RCM in a white cardboard like the 53 to 60 sets. My question is did the sets come with 2 staples when the 54 to 60 sets didn't?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3655 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2020  3:38 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1951 and 1952 sets came with or without the white cardboard holders .
Sometimes the sets came just in cello pouches in a small box. A very similar
Style to the 1950 to 1955 Boxed US proof sets . The coins were held together in the lined box
With a single staple .
The cardboard 1951 & 1952 sets generally came in the same style as the 1953 to 1960 RCM sets but WITH 2 Diagonal STAPLES that appeared
on the left side of the card . Some sets DID NOT have the staples.
A search of the internet will find some pix of the sets in question.
Most , but NOT ALL of the coins found in the sets of the early 1951 to 1953 period are pleasing business strikes , with the odd piece being PL quality .

Edited by Pacificoin
11/30/2020 3:45 pm
Learn More...
United States
94566 Posts
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 5,103Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.61 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05