Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection: 1925 Stone Mountain "Tenn" Counterstamp

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 7,762Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5937 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2013  10:15 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
While preparing my recent post on my Stone Mountain granite chip, I was reminded of a previous "promise" I made concerning a post on the counterstamped Stone Mountain half-dollars. Long overdue, but here it is...

In my previous Stone Mountain posts, I've made passing reference to how the Stone Mountain Confederate Monumental Association used a variety of methods to promote the sale of their coin. One such endeavor was the "Great Harvest Campaign." The campaign involved the governors of the southern states that formed the Confederacy during the Civil War assuming a population-based, pro-rated sales quota of the coins. The selling price of the coins was $1.00. While some coins were sold, the Campaign was not the success that was anticipated.

Read More: Commems Collection

A plan to create "special" versions of the coins was then developed. Coins would be counterstamped with an abbreviation of each state's name and a number, and then auctioned to the highest bidder. Such counter-stamped pieces brought a range of prices at auction, sales in the $10 to $30 range were common, though a good number of successful bidders paid more than $100 - one bidder is said to have paid $1,300 for a coin with Florida markings. These were quite significant sums to pay for a 50-cent piece in 1925!

There are also coins that feature a "UDC" counterstamp in addition a state and number; these were produced for the United Daughters of the Confederacy. Some coins feature a "GL" or "SL" counterstamp which are believed to represent "Gold" and "Silver" sales prizes; here's a link to a web site that discusses them: http://www.numismaticamericana.com/...alf-dollars/

The coins with the state abbreviation and number are the more common of the Stone Mountain counterstamps, though "common" is a relative term as all of them are quite scarce.

I purchased the example shown here more than 10 years ago from a dealer who always seems to have a good stock of "unusual" items. I sent it into the ANA Authentication Bureau to have its authenticity verified and was very pleased when the coin came back confirmed as a genuine example. The ANAAB also noted that it is one of 25 known coins with a Tennessee counter-stamp.

The counterstamps are to be found on the reverse of the coin. You'll note the "185" to the left of the eagle's wing and "TENN" just above "Liberty" toward the bottom of the coin. On the obverse you can make out an oval-shaped "bump" to the left of Gen. "Stonewall" Jackson; it is opposite the "TENN" on the reverse. The obverse impact of the "185" being stamped on the reverse is far less obvious as it is in the area of the horses' heads.

If you are interested in learning more about these fascinating coins, I would suggest reading Adna Wilde's article "Counterstamped Stone Mountain Half Dollars, Where Are They Today?" in the August 1987 issue of the ANA's The Numismatist. Mr. Wilde was the foremost expert on these pieces before his passing. The article was reprinted as a small booklet and can sometimes be found via used book dealers.

Enjoy!

1925 Stone Mountain Half-Dollar w/ Counterstamp - Obverse

1925 Stone Mountain Half-Dollar w/ Counterstamp - Reverse

American Numismatic Association Authentication Bureau Certificate

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1211 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2013  10:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hondo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These counter stamped stone mountain coins are just awesome. I've run into them before and its really cool to see.
Too bad they are so pricey!

Commems, as usual, hats off to you!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3451 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2013  11:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinsKelly to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice to see you are keeping up with your promises!

That is very interesting, I guess they had as many promotional gimmicks back then as they do now.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4052 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2013  4:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bpoc1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Commems, again a wealth of information. Thank You!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7121 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2013  7:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was made aware of these counter stamped Stone Mountain halves in a recent ANA Numismatist article commems ... you reference 8/2007 ... there was another within the previous 2 years.

However ... I have never seen one live and truly appreciate you sharing your tremendous example.

David
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Learn More...
United States
101057 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2013  12:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting story. As always, thank you for sharing these "addded value" commemorative coin stories.
Valued Member
United States
386 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2013  07:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add blackjack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You are inspiring, commems. Your collection is wonderful. From a collector's standpoint, I'd love to add one of these to my collection of commemorative halves. However, please don't be offended as I write that the beauty of the coin is ruined by these counterstamps.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5937 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2013  10:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all for the positive feedback, it is much appreciated!

Quote:
...please don't be offended as I write that the beauty of the coin is ruined by these counterstamps.

Of course, no offense taken. I agree the counterstamps do not add much in the way of artistic merit, but they do add to the coin's historical intrigue!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Valued Member
United States
467 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2013  10:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Not Mint to Be to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Counterstamped Stone Mountains have intrigued me too. And this is one thing that I don't understand. PCGS will grade chopmarked Trade dollars but not the Counterstamped Stone Mountains. And they were put out by an official organization. Would they put them in a Genuine holder now?
United States
1 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2013  02:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CarolinaCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another excellent post by commems!

I also collect Stone Mountain halves and related ephemera and have always been fascinated by all the marketing gimmicks they tried to sell these coins. My counter-stamped Stone Mountain is interesting in that it was originally counter-stamped VA 101. But for some reason re-counter-stamped Texas 111. I have posted the ANA authentication bureau certificate for it below.

As soon as I figure out which safe deposit box this coin and my counter-stamped Stone Mount Children's Medal is in I'll retrieve them, photograph and post them as well.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5073 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2013  11:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jack jeckel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If anyone is wondering the value of one of the counter stamped versions this one just ended tonight on eBay at $1030

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tennessee-C...p=true&rt=nc
United States
13 Posts
 Posted 12/19/2013  09:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Counterstamptastic to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello there I am new to the forum but been collecting for 30 years.

Here is a counterstamped gold lavolier (or however you spell french for ribbon) coin.

This has original patina but you can see the rim damage where the coin was liberated from the bezel.

Original patina, though, which is uncommon.

I did some research and there is no 7th chapter for the UDC. However, there is a 7th congressional district.
My theory is that some of the coins used congressional districts and not UDC chapters.

The first female congressperson in the 7th district was Willa McCord Blake Eslick who took over when her husband died.

She was a big deal in the UDC, so I am thinking the coin is linked to her somehow. This is just a theory.

At the very least, now we can say that not all numbers correspond to UDC chapters.

Maybe the rim damage lowers the value of the coin, but at least it indicates the existence of a bezel.

Original patina + Gold Lavolier + Low Number = desirable characteristics?

The pattern of indentation on the "TENN" is exactly the same as Commem's coin and
exactly the same as the "TENN" coins I noticed on eBay. Bold at the beginning and then
it tapers off and the letters get thinner and thinner.

Edited by Counterstamptastic
12/19/2013 09:54 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1822 Posts
 Posted 12/19/2013  09:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add yingyang to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to ccf
United States
13 Posts
 Posted 12/19/2013  9:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Counterstamptastic to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If we found a S.L. would we have a complete set?

Also, I am having trouble finding the Adna Wilde article on this subject.

Some of the auction companies mention "The Wilde Roster," the implication
being that Adna Wilde compiled a comprehensive survey of states and numbers.

Edited by Counterstamptastic
12/20/2013 5:58 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 7,762Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05