Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1968 S Over D Jefferson Nickel

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
6 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2013  10:38 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add sam hopson to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
tried to get a closer picture for you.

is this better?
Pillar of the Community
United States
4002 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2013  10:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fioti to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
99.9% of your pic is useless. The mm is all that's needed. What has it come to, me giving image advice?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2543 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2013  11:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add denco7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice way to treat new members ........

Sam, we really need close ups of the mint mark for examination . Could be a number of things , from post mint damage, to soldered mint mark, to Machine Doubling, to a repunched mark. But we really need close ups of the mint mark only to help.

And unlike above, welcome to the community !

And another helpful hint, you can edit your first post, add and take off pictures by tapping the paper and pencil icon above your post. No need to start a new thread when you want to add something
Edited by denco7
03/08/2013 1:22 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16963 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2013  12:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Try some photos at different angles also, the lighting might help in bringing out the details of the mint mark.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1786 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2013  1:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Broken-Coin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

sam,

About 6 years back my daughter gave me a new (at the time) small (compared to the 1960's camera's I'm used to) Sony 7.2 mega pixels camera for taking photos & videos of the grandchildren. I have also taken over 3,000 photos of coins, and about a month or so back found one of the features of this camera by mistake that let me continue to zoom in on a photo and receive high resolution photos...

This morning I had taken 22 photos total of die scratches on my ANACS 1878cc Morgan for another CCF thread I have posted on the Silver Dollar VAM section to help ID the reverse die. (photos should be posted by tonight).

Anyway, when taking a close up photo, I place the image size to 7M, I then set the photo setting to "Magnifying Glass On" and proceed to take photos. After taking the photos I review each photo and when I see a photo I want to zoom in on, I then press the + button numerous times till I'm happy with the image size. I then press the "MENU" button and chose the "Trimming" option that lets me pick the resolution size (I mostly use the 5 or 7M size) and press enter, resulting in a new photo in the zoomed in position. You can view the new zoomed in photo and keep enlarging/zooming in repeating the above...

I'm sure others here can give you better advise but the above works well for me... If you have some type of camera phone or whatever the latest photo taking equipment there is on the market, I am no help at all since I have never taken a photo other then a camera only, and when I purchased a cell phone, I thought it was broken as I never received a dial tone that I had grown up with on landline telephones (my daughters thought that was funny) and to this day have never sent a text message, and don't know how.

Below is a photo of die scratches above the CC mint mark on my 1878 Morgan to check out.

United States
10 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2018  11:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pennyman43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is with a ton of filters to show that something is under the S.. I have 2 of these and 1 with almost full steps. I need to get them both graded. . could be a unicorn.
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2018  12:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pennyman43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

this shows it a little better. Also tells me I need to spend some more money on a camera.
Pillar of the Community
United States
648 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2018  12:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add luvmyCAM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the forum Sam glad your here. The forum is a clearing house for everything coin its all here hundreds of very knowledgeable people and free to boot. Keep posting and you will have this downpat in no time. Sometimes the teachers get razzled at us newbies for not helping ourselves to the tutorials and putting the thinking cap on. This site is awesome, just get some stick time under your belt and you will be flying high. Glad your here.
Study overmintmarks and repunched mintmarks on coppercoins.com and you will know in 20 minutes what you got there. Good luck and keep searching.
There's one aviator you gotta really watch out for and that's "forumdad" he appears during crisis or terrible storms from some faraway galaxy and waves the scepter. As long as he isn't involved your postings are probably gonna be fine.
Edited by luvmyCAM
09/20/2018 12:20 am
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2018  02:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pennyman43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Isn't the famous coin that if it has full steps is very rare? Supposedly very few coins in PCGS history that have full steps or is it a different year?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15499 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2018  1:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From the images I suspect the mintmark is either damaged or was punched into the die too hard deforming the die surface around the mintmark.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
2501 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2018  1:17 pm  Show Profile   Check CoinCollector2000's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CoinCollector2000 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The mintmark is damaged. I took a hit on the top of the D and it smoothed it out to where it resembles a rough S. Sorry, but not an OMM. Keep searching and educate yourself using doubleddie.com. Education IS the key to collector success, after all!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.04 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05