Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Video of the Minting Process in 1920

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
United States
996 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2013  3:58 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add canuck1us to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Interesting old silent film. Make you wonder if any of the 1920 quarters shown being minted now reside in any of our collections.

NUuIjSrAZhM

Pillar of the Community
Canada
2328 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2013  4:19 pm  Show Profile   Check kuh_85's eBay Listings Check kuh_85's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add kuh_85 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very cool. Thanks for posting it!
Valued Member
Canada
286 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2013  5:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add parkay to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And you wonder why there are bag marks
Valued Member
Canada
147 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2013  5:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moejaber to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
love it! thanks for sharing!
Pillar of the Community
United States
614 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2013  6:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tzarmarko to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is great! Reminds me of the time I visited the mint in Ottawa!
Pillar of the Community
United States
648 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2013  6:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tokenmast to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank You

ringing of silver wow nice test!
Valued Member
Canada
148 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2013  7:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fillurboots to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome video very cool the guys flying doing the ringing test lol.

Pillar of the Community
Australia
1142 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2013  9:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
And you wonder why there are bag marks

I was thinking that myself. Seems like every step of the process is designed to inflict bagmarks.

Also, it mentions gold a few times but was any gold struck at the Ottawa mint in 1920?
Pillar of the Community
United States
996 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2013  9:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add canuck1us to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No they wouldn't be minting any gold coins in 1920. Also at one point it shows some silver bars waiting to be minted into dollars and half-dollars.

There weren't any silver dollars minted in 1920 either and the reference to "half-dollars" is an American reference as we Canadians refer to them as fifty-cent pieces.

I see at the end it was an American film so its American audience at the time probably wouldn't have known any better.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2089 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2013  10:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add doubleeagle59 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great video and thanks canuck1us!

I remember viewing it a few years ago but it's always interesting to watch it again.

Now for a comment that might get some bad reaction.....

I am so tired of hearing 'we don't call it a half dollar, we call it a 50 cent piece in Canada'.

I really think it's time to put this 'fight' to bed.

We (in Canada) call it a dollar don't we (as opposed to a '100 cent piece').

So what's the big deal calling it a dime...quarter or half-dollar.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2543 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2013  10:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add denco7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Going by some of the proof Eagles I have gotten from the U.S. Mint, they still do the " ringing " test
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1580 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2013  10:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dialog_gvf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very cool. Thanks for sharing.

It is a wonder there were ever any MS-65 back then.
Valued Member
Canada
111 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2013  10:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pimpim to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow awesome video. Thanks Canuck.
Valued Member
Australia
135 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2013  03:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oasis to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very cool video, thanks for sharing. Amazing that any gems survived that process.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1554 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2013  2:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add glenzy1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
WOW, Thanks Canuck for posting this lovely short film. Ironically I recently purchased an I.C.C.S., 1920 quarter, MS-65. Looking at how coins (business strikes) are handled it leads me to believe the quarter I have must have been cherry picked by a Mint employee at the time of press.
There's no way coins would go through that battering/transport and come out MS-65 material!

Glenn
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
505 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2013  3:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add marbury518 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Enjoyed it thanks. I look at my MS64's from the 1890's and think how did they survive....
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.1 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05