Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Railroad Notes

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
101 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2013  1:25 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add wesal94 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have recently been buying some confederate currency to add to my collection. I found a $1 South Carolina railroad note at a LCS the other day and then saw this beautiful note and had to have it. What do you guys think?

Edited by wesal94
03/15/2013 3:22 pm
Valued Member
United States
239 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2013  2:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BisonMatt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think the back is great!
Valued Member
United States
137 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2013  2:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nationals to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Railroad notes are a lot of fun and definitely a favorite in the South. They tend to be super rare or super common. Let's see the front!
Valued Member
United States
101 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2013  2:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wesal94 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Give me a few. I'm having an issue with posting the front. The previewer is showing it correctly but only posting the back.
Valued Member
United States
101 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2013  3:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wesal94 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Phew. Sorry about that. Apparently my iPad hates posting pictures on this forum. We should in theory now have front and back pictures.
Pillar of the Community
United States
814 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2013  9:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GoldenChest to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree. Itsa great note from what I see and know. Not a confederacy collector yet.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4897 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2013  9:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add amida17 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is nice I have had several of these it is a $50 range note.
They were actually tickets valued at their denomination for a certain number of miles of travel. Not truley currency.
Edited by amida17
03/15/2013 9:25 pm
Valued Member
United States
255 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2013  10:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jimjumper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The train vignettes on those notes are exceptional! The 4-4-0 engine (4 steering wheels, 4 drive wheels, 0 fuel box wheels) was the workhorse of the southern railroads. The Western and Atlantic Railroad out of Atlanta had 19 of those engines at one time and had a drawing of them printed on their small change notes. (see avatar)' The famous "General" was a 4-4-0 train and was chased and caught by its sister engine the "Texas" during the early years of the Civil War. It's an amazing story.
Valued Member
United States
101 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2013  1:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wesal94 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No doubt! I grew up in North Georgia and have heard a ton of the runs.
Valued Member
United States
397 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  10:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I went hunting to see if there was already a thread showing railroad themed bank notes and found this one. So we'll give it a bump!

I was lucky enough to obtain the $5 note from the South Carolina Rail Road recently. All four of these ($1-2-5-10) are gorgeous notes, front and back. The locomotive on this one is a beauty.

These notes were really "travel vouchers" good for a ticket over 25 miles of track per dollar. It was a way to skirt the restrictions imposed on banks and institutions by the federal government to prevent paper money from being issued by private entities.

Who else can post some notes showing trains?

Edited by GregAlex
04/16/2018 10:49 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10116 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2018  01:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That note is spectacular, GregAlex!

FYI for more eye candy there is a train-related thread (also an old one) in the World Notes forum.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2327 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2018  04:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Tallahassee Railroad Company started construction in 1835 and was completed in 1837. Originally the route was from Tallahassee to St.Marks, on the Gulf Coast (22 miles) and was later extended south to Port Leon. The railroad was originally mule-drawn on wooden tracks, and was converted in 1856 to steel tracks and locomotives . The Confederate Army used the railroad to move troops and artillery during the Cival War in defense of Tallahassee. This example is a $1 $1 $2 $3 remainder sheet.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10116 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2018  11:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Steve, that's a cool sheet. My favorite is the $2.

One of my family members used to be heavily involved in the railroad industry and this thread has given me some great ideas for future birthday presents.
Edited by CelticKnot
04/17/2018 11:55 am
Valued Member
United States
397 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2018  02:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another beautiful set of railroad notes -- thanks Steve!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10116 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2018  8:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Anyone have suggestions for Railroad-related notes that would be from and/or representative of the Cleveland, OH area? I've seen references to the "Big 4" (mostly stock certificates) and, of course, B&O, but I'd like to track something special down for the aforementioned family member.

(Don't want to hijack this thread -- will ask to have it broken out in the unlikely event that it gets too busy)
Edited by CelticKnot
04/18/2018 8:27 pm
Valued Member
United States
397 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2018  02:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can suggest stocks and bonds, but don't know enough about Ohio to suggest any obsoletes.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.79 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05