Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Are There Vending Machines That Accept Pennies?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 15,993Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

708 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2013  02:20 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Fox to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This is a question just out of pure curiousity. I have no plans or interest to lobby for vending machines to accept a coin that may be on the chopping block to get the ax soon anyway. I know there are them penny horse ride machines at some stores for young kids to ride that are still a penny, but if the penny gets the ax, they'll have to bump that horsey machine up to a nickel. But thats the only machine around my area, other than self checkouts that I know of that takes both, copper cents, and Zincolns. But, can vending machines be equipt to accept pennies?

I know that, when I wrote to the vending industry about the half and a $2 coin in the future, they said that there is limited space for how many coin tubes they could install in a vending machine, and they said that, only if the half were "significantly redesigned" (I'm guessing they mean made smaller) and if they got the $1 coin circulating widely, and I could convince the industry that the general public likes using "small change" for their every day purchases, then a circulating half and $2 coin may become a reality.

But anyway, as I said, I don't really care about penny acception. Just curious as to if its possible for vending machines.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4049 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2013  06:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bpoc1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As a kid in the 50's and 60's I know there were gumball machines. Today I have not seen any that just take a cent.
Good question Fox.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2734 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2013  07:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DNA to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The elongated Cent souvenir machines still take them...
Pillar of the Community
United States
1618 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2013  07:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mds308 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Only back in the day when a penny was worth something. I don't think there are any penny machines currently used. The gumball machines at the grocery store are all 25 cents. Occasionally, I'll see a vintage penny machine being used but this is more for novelty than it is for profit.

Any of you old timers (like me) remember the Ford Gumball Machine? They had a sliding lever to release the gum and the gum was Chiclets or Chicles not gumballs.

http://www.fordgum.com/mach.html
Pillar of the Community
United States
1211 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2013  07:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jerseyben to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I really doubt the horse ride is 1 cent. The operator would surely lose money if it were only 1 cent.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1308 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2013  10:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinsearcher83 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I really doubt the horse ride is 1 cent. The operator would surely lose money if it were only 1 cent.

Nope, it is. Trust me. They have them around here at Meijer stores. More of a tradition and symbol of a large store being more personal (I guess) than profit.
Learn More...
United States
94141 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2013  12:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Does the Coinstar count?

I seem to recall there was a machine, but cannot remember where it was. I just remember finding it curious.

I do remember that the original stamp machines at my old post office took them. That was a long, long time ago.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4049 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2013  1:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bpoc1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There where some weigh yourself one cent machines back when.
Pillar of the Community
708 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2013  9:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Fox to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
jerseyben,

Yep, the horse ride is still a penny, bit as I said will have to be raised to a nickel if the penny gets the ax, and seeing as the horse ride only lasts a really short bit, I wonder if they have to raise the price to a nickel, if they would make the ride longer.

jbuck,

I was going to mention the CoinStar machines, actually. (-;
Pillar of the Community
United States
1388 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2013  9:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add allranger to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There used to be 1 cent gumball machines around when I was a kid. I think it was more for novelty than anything else. You would get those little hollow gumballs that were about the size of a dime. It has been a while since I've seen one though and I think an older guy was operating to give kids something to do than to make a profit.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 15,993Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.52 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05