Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection: 1935-39 Arkansas Centennial Ephemera

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 915Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6097 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2013  5:45 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The Arkansas Centennial coin program was one of the classic series' multi-year programs. The first coins were issued in 1935 (the year before Arkansas' statehood centennial) and continued on with issues in 1936-37-38-39. Coins were struck at all three US Mints operating at the time (Philadelphia, Denver and San Francisco) for each year of the program. Type Set collectors of the commemoratives series have many coins to choose from, those going after complete Date and Mintmark Sets have many coins to purchase!

As can be expected with a long-lived program, the selling price of the coins increased over time as did the group/organization responsible for selling and distributing the coins. The Arkansas Centennial Commission led the sales efforts in 1935 and 1936.

Read More: Commems Collection

The Commission sold the 1935 coins at $1.00 per coin. B. Max Mehl purchased most of the branch mint coins and raised their selling price several times - he got away with it because the commemorative craze was in full swing! By early 1936, he was selling the Philadelphia coins for $2.25 and the branch mint pieces for $2.95 each. Here's a link to a post I did about Mehl's promotion of the 1935-dated Arkansas coins: http://goccf.com/t/139161.

The 1936 coins were initially sold by the Commission for $1.00 each but prices were soon raised to $1.50 per coin and $4.50 per PDS set; the Commission ultimately raised the 1936 set price to $6.75. Stack's, a New York City based coin dealer, took over distribution for the 1937 issues; they sold PDS sets for $8.75.

The Commission was again in charge of distribution for the 1938 and 1939 releases. Initial pricing for the 1938 PDS sets was $8.75, but in the spring of 1938 the Commission decided to increase the price for all sets, regardless of year, to $10.00. The postcard shown below announces the price increase and notes a July 1st deadline to place orders at the previous (lower) price level.

The Commission sold the 1939 sets at the $10.00 price point and was able to sell out the small run of 2,100 sets. By the end of the year, the Commission lowered its prices on its remaining inventory of earlier-dated sets but eventually sent unsold inventory to the Mint for melting.

An interesting note about the postcard shown below is the fact that it is addressed to "H. Chapman" in Philadelphia, PA. Henry Chapman was a long-time coin dealer and auctioneer. He began his career in the coin business alongside his brother Samuel Hudson Chapman. As teenagers, they worked for noted coin dealer John Haseltine in the mid-1870s, and opened their own business in 1878. The brothers remained in business together, conducting more than 80 auctions, until 1906. At that time, disagreements between them caused each to pursue a separate numismatic career - both were successful.

You'll note that the card is postmarked on June 6, 1938. Henry died in January 1935 but his coin business was continued, under his name, by his wife Helen until 1948. I've included an image of a November 1937 advertisement of "Henry Chapman" featuring US commemorative coins. Note that the 1937 PDS set was being offered at $14.00 - significantly higher than the $8.75 price offered by Stack's in 1937 or the $10.00 level that the Commission was to charge after its July 1, 1938 price increases!

I'd like say "Thanks!" to nickelsearcher for alerting me to the auctioning of the postcard shown. Such friendly support of fellow collectors is one of the great benefits of being a member of and participating in CCF.

Enjoy!

1935 Arkansas Statehood Centennial Half-Dollar - Obverse

1935 Arkansas Statehood Centennial Half-Dollar - Reverse

"Price Increase" Postcard - Front

"Price Increase" Postcard - Back

"Henry Chapman" Commemorative Advertisement (Numismatist, November 1937)

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
03/28/2013 11:49 pm
Valued Member
United States
292 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2013  6:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HaroldS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So interesting. Collecting ephemerma of any collectibles is so rewarding. We also collect American made glassware (commonly called Depression Glass), and I am always thrilled to come across postcards, magazine ads, catalogs, etc regarding our glassware.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1109 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2013  6:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add skyshark124 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, $10 for a set? If only $10 would still buy as much today...
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7156 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2013  7:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Commems ...

Your continued tremendous posts are of great benefit to all of us interested in the series.

I have remarked before how much I appreciate the knowledge and historical perspective you bring to the fascinating (to me) classic silver commemorative set.

All of us have gained much knowledge from your educated and well written posts.

Pleased to confirm that you were able to purchase the Alabama post card ephemera ... thrilled to read your knowledgeable words on H.Chapman connections and circumstances associated with it.

You have demonstrated to me an amazing ability to connect the dots of the people and coins in this series ...

I salute again your museum quality coin/ephemera collection.

Looking forward to the book .... someday?

David
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Edited by nickelsearcher
03/28/2013 7:55 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1347 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2013  9:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ArrowsAndRays to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Time machine, please take me to 333-335 S. 16th St, Philadelphia...

Commens, many thanks for your illustrated guided tours through our Commemorative coinages's history.
Valued Member
United States
81 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2013  10:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add henryjamesbuttons to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Commems..I appreciate all your posts, and espescially this one. One of my favorite coins.
Learn More...
United States
101953 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 915Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05