Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Coin Roll Hunting Tips For Pennies?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
147 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2013  03:01 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Mystic2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm going to start a decent regiment here in a week or so and was wondering what are some of the pennies I should be looking for as in what dates to set aside for rare varieties and such.

i know about the 55 DDO and poor mans and the 95 DDO and such but what are some of the other ones.

thanks in advance I know you guys will help and when I get my post count up to where I need it ill share the wealth and offer some of them cheap to people who need them.

also with nickels as well because I search a few rolls a week on them. any help would be appreciated. thanks.
Edited by Mystic2
04/26/2013 03:05 am
Learn More...
United States
14163 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2013  03:15 am  Show Profile   Check Fuzzy317's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
first comes to mind -
22 no D or weak D
60 & 70 small and large dates
43 in copper
there were some errors/issues with some 2009's, but I can't recall them
<---- expert of nothing, student of everything. My Coin Galleries
Here is: My Want List.... to work on my: Birth Year Set

Circulating Dollar Coins ......Circulating Half Dollar Coins ...... Circulating Two Dollar Bills
Learn More...
United States
14163 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2013  03:20 am  Show Profile   Check Fuzzy317's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
looking at a site
basically any 1909 or 1909-S VDB
43 D/D
44 D/S
60 D/D
72/72
83 DD

got those from some sites, plus can look here
http://www.lincolncentresource.com

checkout the checklists at that site. Looks like there is a list for every type of error or variety

Circulating Dollar Coins ......Circulating Half Dollar Coins ...... Circulating Two Dollar Bills
Pillar of the Community
United States
1109 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2013  03:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add skyshark124 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My new favorites are the 1982 small dates. Don't ask why.
Learn More...
United States
14163 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2013  03:46 am  Show Profile   Check Fuzzy317's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
skyshark124, I am glad you mentioned 1982.

Mystic2, there are seven varieties of the 1982 cent.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
30412 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2013  05:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do you plan on looking for errors or varieties or semi-key or key or high grade or what? I look for all of the ones I listed and that means there are a lot to look for. I have been roll searching since 1971 so I kinda know what to look for. If you are just getting into roll searching start out slow and narrow your search to one or two areas,IMHO.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
147 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2013  1:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mystic2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Im looking for whatever there is to find including bu for year rolls. Thats why its better to have the year and mintmarks so I can set them aside. I also set aside all copper pennies to sell off. And I knew about the large and small zinc and copper 82 but whats the 7th variety
Pillar of the Community
United States
1129 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2013  5:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bassmaster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think anyone has mentioned 1998, 1999, and 2000 wide am's or 1992 close am's. You should look for those too.
Valued Member
United States
147 Posts
 Posted 04/27/2013  01:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mystic2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeh the wide ams are where the am dont touch on the bottom right and I'm just kinda trying to make it funner and more pritable for me instead of the wow only $4 face copper from this box
I hope you all understand
Valued Member
United States
325 Posts
 Posted 04/28/2013  4:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joecoin85 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1943 bronze penny is worth over $100,000 dollars. It's an error coin. They are supposed to be all steel clad in 1943. Also if you see a 1944 steel penny. That is an error as well. They are supposed to be copper clad. The 43 is worth the most though.

Nickels:

Shield nickel - Rare Nickels and Errors to Watch For

Shield nickels are going to be the most expensive of all the nickel types if you choose to collect them. Very worn coins will cost you around $20 each.
Key Dates: 1877 (proof only), 1878 (proof only), 1879, 1880, 1881
Overdate: 1879/8, 1883/2
Repunched Date: 1866

Liberty Head Nickel - Rare Nickels and Errors to Watch For

A collection of Liberty Head Nickels is quite possible on a modest budget with the exception of the keydates listed below.
Key Dates: 1885, 1886, 1912-S
1913 - Only 5 are known to exist!!

Indian Head or Buffalo nickel - Rare Nickels and Errors to Watch For

Most Indian Head Nickels are also moderately priced and within reach of the average collector. With only one keydate and a couple of semi-keydates, a collection of Buffalo nickels could be put together on a fairly small budget.
Key Dates: 1913-S Variety 2
Overdate: 1914/3, 1918/7-D
Double Dies: 1916 (obv), 1935 (rev)
Overmintmarks:1942-D over Horiaontal D
1936-D Three and 1/2 legs on Buffalo
1937-D Three-legged Buffalo

Jefferson nickel - Rare Nickels and Errors to Watch For

The Jefferson nickel series doesn't have any major rarities. This is one reason it's such a good series for a beginner to collect (or anyone on a modest budget).

Key Dates: 1938-D, 1938-S, 1939-D, 1939-S and the 1950-D
Overmintmarks: 1949-D/S, 1954-S/D, 1955-D/S
Overdate: 1943/2-P
Double Dies: 1939 (doubled MONTICELLO, FIVE CENTS), 1943-P (doubled eye), 1945 (rev) and 2004
Full Step Nickels: Jefferson nickels that have "full steps" on the reverse sell for a premium.
1942-S with the reverse of the 1941: the rarest Jefferson nickel. Only one is known to exist. Wouldn't it be cool to find one of those in your pocket change!
Pillar of the Community
United States
707 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2017  7:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add luvmyCAM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Get the Cherrypickers guidebook its a great way to start. Also a magnifying glass, a 10x loop glass, and a 16x loop glass. Then tear away! If I was starting over I would have purchased a few of the less expensive DDO's like the 1972 F'S-108, 1960 D RPM, and the 1959 DDO FS-101. These examples would have spoken a million words. Good luck out there its definitely a blast finding a good DDO or DDR.
Your going to go through alot of cents before you find a good strong double die so get ready for the hump, also the thrill of finding brilliant mint state Lincoln memorial cents in odd clumps here and there. I made many mistakes my first couple hundred thousand cents and probably had some good ones go in the coinstar bucket but I kept studying and learning and pretty much a "certified novest" variety nut. Let me know when you find a 1988 doubled ear cent! that will get everyone riled.
No kidding on my suggestion about buying a few example coins slabbed by one of the big 3 grading houses once you see a MS-66 or MS-67 graded by PCGS and you compare it to the one you think is a 66 you will laugh. I had about 200 I self proclaimed as MS-66 then I bought several graded examples and I blushed at my garage grading. I'm pretty much a rock, I started out trying to muscle my way in to a good double die thinking the sheer max would mathematically provide some lovely specimens...nope just frustration.
Hey on a lighter note welcome bro to a cool and wild hobby, those good ones are out there good luck.
Valued Member
United States
51 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2017  9:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add histman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are so many varieties and errors, I avoid them. I look for Wheats, Copper from '59 - '81, foreign coins, and 1970-S Small Date. Obviously, I look for the key dates as well.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05