Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1978 Silver Penny? Testing Real! Any Ideas?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 65 / Views: 32,303Next Topic
Page: of 5
United States
15 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2013  9:04 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Minix69 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi I am new and looking for some info on a penny I recently found! It is a 1978 no mint mark, and the penny is silver in color? Its not magnetic, and I have searched everywhere and not found another like it. Also have gotten some info from local coin dealers, it only weighs 1.9 grams, so it is way too light to be a plated penny. Also doesn't show any copper through the color under a microscope!! They have all been very confused as well am I, and many of them have tried to buy it as it seems to truly be a one of a kind! A mistake or error or something! Anyone have any ideas or guess or information at all? Thanks!
Edited by Minix69
07/10/2013 9:14 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
621 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2013  9:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add justin3651 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
that sounds very interesting. a picture of the coin is going to be needed. well, pictures, to be technical. what kind of testing confirmed it real? welcome to the site, I'm sure someone will be able to help.
Edited by justin3651
07/10/2013 9:22 pm
United States
15 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2013  9:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Minix69 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

United States
15 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2013  9:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Minix69 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There we go, I think you can tell from those
United States
15 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2013  9:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Minix69 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There weight test first, with it only weighing 1.9 grams, were a normal penny weighs 3.11g, and if it were plated it would be heavier or around the same weight. and also them not being able to see the copper bleed through any kind of plating under a microscope! One shop was trying pretty hard to buy it I just couldn't sell it right then, I have never seen anything like it before!
Valued Member
United States
459 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2013  9:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1916 D Merc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not sure, but could it be a penny struck on a dime planchet? That's the only thing I could think of but, the weight of a dime is around 2.3g so I'm not sure if a .4g loss due to circulation is normal?
Rest in Peace
United States
7075 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2013  10:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Buddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What does the rim look like? If it was struck on a dime planchet you might see some copper on the rim.

It could have been struck on a planchet intended for a foreign coin.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11120 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2013  11:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting... are you sure you zeroed out the scale?

Pillar of the Community
United States
907 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2013  05:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add n9jig to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Did the US Mint make coins for other nations at the time that might have used a similar sized planchet of a lighter weight metal? Would it be possible that that planchet got in the penny hopper?
Valued Member
United States
395 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2013  07:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JJHFL to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Any chance your camera can take a closer shot of just the coin so we can see it in a higher resolution? On the reverse, "One Cent" looks "built up" a little to me, but its too hard to tell from these pics. Also, a shot of the edge might be helpful to some as well.
Edited by JJHFL
07/11/2013 07:20 am
United States
15 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2013  09:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Minix69 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I compared it to another penny it seems to be the same same maybe just a barely noticable bit smaller, and the edge is smooth. All of the coin seems to be in place, but I'm not really an expert on any coins. I will try to get some more photo's for everyone to help me out, my cameras not the best but if I try a few times usually I can get the shot we want. WHat all pics does everyone need? Thanks so much!
Learn More...
United States
101953 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2013  10:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I moved this to the Variety and Error forum so that the V/E regulars can comment.
United States
15 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2013  10:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Minix69 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh and seen one more question we zeroed the scale and checked a couple times, Just to absolutely sure! It was strange that it was so light so we checked a couple times.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17430 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2013  11:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1.9 grams is too light for a plated cent or a dime planchet. I'm coming up with three possibilities, a counterfeit (unlikely), struck on a foreign planchet (Possible? we were striking coins for other countries then but I haven't checked for possibilities), and soaked in acid and then plated to try and pass as a dime. Better images would help and it would also help if I checked the foreign planchet possibilities

Checked the foreign planchets possibilities and it doesn't look good. The closest combination in size and time period I can find is Liberia 10 cent planchet at 1.7 grams. It is coppernickel so the color would be right. At 16.9 mm it is a little small but it would fit in the dies. They were struck in San Francisco, but San Francisco did strike 1978 cents without mintmarks. The problem is they last struck the Liberia 10 cents in 1976. So the planchet would have to have hung around in the presses or tote bins for two years.
Gary Schmidt
Edited by Conder101
07/11/2013 11:55 am
United States
15 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2013  11:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Minix69 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am trying to get some good photo's for you my cameras just won't co operate! If this thing all checks out though I am just curious is there any value to this coin? Or possible value I should say
United States
15 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2013  12:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Minix69 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Page: of 5 Previous TopicReplies: 65 / Views: 32,303Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05