Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1923 S Peace Dollar Die Clash VAM?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 2,315Next Topic  
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2013  4:36 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add KupsisteKoletis to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I just recently looked through my Peace dollar collection and found this coin with a die clash spike(s) on the eagles right shoulder with a couple thread-like impressions on eagles back and next to the olive branch, but I couldn't quite figure out which VAM is this. Below are some pictures of obverse and reverse as well as some close up looks on the die clash and the threads if anyone can help me out would be appreciated.

The die clash spike on eagle's right shoulder...

The thread on eagle's back...

The thread went from under the olive branch all the way to the right...

A die chip(?) right above O of DOLLAR...

The pictures of obverse and reverse of the coin...

Sorry for the bad quality of the pictures, if any more picture on any particular part of the coin is needed to help determine which VAM the coin is please let me know. Thanks.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9313 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2013  5:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't see an exact match for yours but VAM1CQ is interesting.
1883-O Nut
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2013  8:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KupsisteKoletis to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's about the same spot on the olive branch, but not quite close.

VAM-1CQ doesn't seem to have one behind the eagle's back.
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2013  8:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KupsisteKoletis to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just found two more clashes on obverse:

Clash right in front of forehead...

Clash above the shorter ray of tiara between E and R of LIBERTY...

This looks like a VAM-1BM, but mine doesn't have the die file lines like it.

The VAM-1BQ has the same thing on the eagle's back, but the clash on the obverse isn't anywhere like a nose bridge.
Learn More...
United States
23521 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2013  8:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Clashing, by nature, shouldn't define anything except a subvariety as any random die pair can clash during its' lifetime. Clashed versions of VAMs known for differing features show up all the time. It's unfortunate that Peace VAMs have tended to become defined by this clashing, because for each one, an unclashed version is all but certainty.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9313 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2013  10:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What I was eluding to by pointing out VAM1CQ is that the thread like impression next to the olive branch may be a result of the clash episode. Your single clash coin is likely an early die state of one of the listed double and triple clashed coins. There's not a lot of information as far as plate photos on these, unfortunately.

If you're intent on finding out more I suggest posting on the Vamworld site to see if anyone can identify this.
1883-O Nut
Valued Member
United States
172 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2013  2:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add VAMsforMoney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would be intrigued by the marks in the first photo above eagle's head extending into the field between and below "OF". If the designer's initials were going to transfer in a clash episode, this would be in just the right spot. There is no known designer's initials transfer in the Peace dollars.
Valued Member
United States
59 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2020  11:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add livingwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have one with the same reverse and could not find it on VAMWORLD. Of all the posted double clash spikes on VAMWORLD I think the location match is VAM-1CY but my coin has no obverse die cracks, just file lines by R. Maybe a VAM number was assigned to my example in a later supplement. Or this is an EDS VAM-1CY before the obverse cracks formed, which is what I currently call it. Wish I had a more precise identity.
Edited by livingwater
07/02/2020 3:11 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
9313 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2020  6:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My suggestion still is post it on VAMworld2. There's a few members over there that really know Peace VAM's.
1883-O Nut
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 2,315Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.58 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05