Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1983-D Washington Quarter

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1475 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2013  11:42 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Sudz to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I don't know very much at all about Washington quarters, but am I correct in assuming that this is fairly hard to find? Or is it just hard for me to find until now? All opinions are appreciated, thanks.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1299 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2013  12:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cc99999 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
no mint sets were produced in 1982 or 1983. few bags were saved by dealers or collectors. so mint state examples, especially gems- are uncommon and command a healthy premium. Your Extra-Fine example is pretty well preserved considering that this is a 30 year old quarter. cool find- but if you can- try to get yourself some gems - especially in the raw- where they are cheaper.
Valued Member
United States
477 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2013  7:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shootnstarz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Gezzz, this post made me go look up clad quarters in my RedBook. So now I have to go look through my quart jar of clad change. I didn't realize clad coins had any numismatic value. Thanks for enlightening me.

Rick
Learn More...
United States
76334 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2013  11:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Remember that this is a conditional rarity. There were plenty of 1982 and 1983 coins minted, just not plenty of high grade ones available.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1475 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2013  11:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sudz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I appreciate the help. I have learned something new thanks to you.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1660 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2013  5:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cladking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK, they made 618 million of them.

Around 140,000,000 have been lost oe destroyed.

Of the ~475 million that still exist;

100,000,000 are damaged, tarnished, or heavily worn.
350,000,000 are in VG+ to XF- condition in circulation.
20,000,000 are in XF- to AU+ condition and not currently circulating.(most are unattractive)
5,000,000 are held by collectors and in no danger of getting circulated.

Of the 5,000,000 in no danger most are solid and attractive AU- to MS-61.

About 250,000 are solid but unattractive BU (MS-60-62)
About 100,000 are solid and attractive BU (MS-63)
5,000 are MS-64 (very attractive to near Gem)
A hundred are true Gems.
A few are probably choice Gems.

This date is much more common in nice shape than the '83-P or '82-P.

The '82-P might not even exist in true well struck Gem. Clean examples can be found only with great effort and they will almost invariably be struck by dies that are worn AND misaligned. They rarely have enough die pressure to strike true Gems anyway. The services overgrade these dates. I've seen many thousands of BU '82-P quarters since 1982 and a mere handfull were clean. Finding them clean is much easier thabn finding new dies or full strikes.

The '83-D has quite similar problems except dies tend to be better. With this date it's finmding them clean and well struck that is tough. I might be too charitable but I'd grade this coin a solid AU-50 (AU-) but fairly attractive except for the obverse chicken scratching (retained planchet marking). It can be graded lower since it's not especially attractiive for its grade.

Time don't fly, it bounds and leaps.
Edited by cladking
08/09/2013 5:28 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1299 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2013  10:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cc99999 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to add to the conversation. I'm the underbidder so far on a 1983-P in MS-66+. Auction ends tomorrow and I expect it to sell for close to $700. I have a sharply struck and strong MS-66. If the 66+ is better, I'd want it, obviously.
Valued Member
United States
477 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2013  08:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shootnstarz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Found quite a few 81s - 84s in my clad jar last night. Nothing looking high grade though. Actually, some of the nicest were from the 60s.

Rick
Pillar of the Community
United States
1660 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2013  12:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cladking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
to add to the conversation. I'm the underbidder so far on a 1983-P in MS-66+. Auction ends tomorrow and I expect it to sell for close to $700. I have a sharply struck and strong MS-66. If the 66+ is better, I'd want it, obviously.

The '83-P is the toughest in nice Gem and higher but isn't quite so tough in in MS-63 and MS-64 as the '82-P. The '83-P has more good strikes and the dies were swapped out a little more often but (like the '83-D) is plagued by marking.

It's also my worst clad and one I'll have to upgrade one of these days. Mine is a beauty but only a nice MS-64.
Time don't fly, it bounds and leaps.
Valued Member
United States
276 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2013  10:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add atchisonbj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Although 83-D is not as tough as 83-P I would pull that coin out of circulation but it's not something I'd pay a premium for because it is not uncirculated. When you buy ANY 82 or 83 coin from U.S.A. remember that these where the two years that no Mint Sets were made. So this makes those two years key dates in post 1964 area in terms of quality eye appeal on uncirculated coins. Make sure you are buying a good strike with a minimal amount of contact marks (on a Washington quarter especially look for no measurable with a ruler mark on Washington's cheek) and attractive toning which for a clad quarter look for more golden color rather than dull grey. If it were me I'd look for at least an MS-64 and would try to get an MS-65.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2504 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2013  10:36 pm  Show Profile   Check CoinCollector2000's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CoinCollector2000 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I found an AU 1986 P Quarter any value on that?
Valued Member
United States
395 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2013  07:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JJHFL to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I found an AU 1986 P Quarter any value on that?

Roughly $0.40 to $0.80
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.81 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05