Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Coin Prices Vs Album Prices

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
374 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2013  7:44 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Bababooey to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Why do you think there are not more high end options for storing and displaying raw coins? A dansco album is like $20-$30 but the coins that fill them may cost thousands. Is there just not demand for this? Why would one buy an old style album where you press the coins in, for a set that has quite expensive coins? I can see doing that for current pocket change, but not when spending $100+ for some of the set.

Just wonder. Any insight would be helpful.

My idea would be to have a book than you press in air-tites into pre-labeled holes. That way the air titles can be easily removed and the coins can be looked at by anyone (such as friends, relatives, kids etc, who don't know how to properly handle coins). I spent about $2000 on putting together a set of raw Liberty nickels. I'm willing to spend more say $100 or so on a nice album.Right now they are in a new Dansco, that was like $20 or so.
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2013  9:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In terms of more options the market probably isn't there. Dansco has a pretty good hold on the album market and most people seem to like them. For the higher end coins more and more are ending up in slabs which even have their own albums now.

The air-tite album is a good compromise idea though it may not be practical. Just think how thick the pages would have to be and then think how many albums already have 3 4 or 5 pages already.
Valued Member
United States
256 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2013  9:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jwguts to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you're willing to spend a little more than the typical Dansco album, you could purchase a blank Dansco album with millimeter pages, large enough to fit your coin locked in a Kointain holder. That would be the best of both worlds.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1511 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2013  10:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NathanASE to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree an album for airtites would be super thick.. Although it would look good..

I just use blank binder's with click shut slab pages for my more expensive coins/sets, and the ones that are raw I buy the Coin World Premire Coin Slabs (basically empty PCGS slabs) and put the coin in myself with a label (and no.. Never for resale, lol, no slabbing company in my basement) Then I can remove or whatever and not worry in the least.
Valued Member
United States
256 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2013  11:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jwguts to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have to say, I do really like the storage method in Gardmaster coin albums. Rather than a push-in followed by a slide-over like Dansco (which can scratch coins very easily), the albums have a strip of non-pvc pouches, which slide into each row on the page. Good visibility. No pushing to get the coin into the hole, good protection.
Valued Member
United States
374 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2013  03:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bababooey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thanks for the tips I'll take a look at those options
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2358 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2013  04:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bacchus2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It depends what you are collecting. All my high end coins are in a mahogany cabinet - but then they aren't going to be affected by exposure to the air or toning issues or minute rubbing issues against the velvet but that's because they are all older coins where the pursuit of a "perfect coin" isn't an issue. For anything modern, say 1900 onwards, and super high end, some form of encapsulation might be best.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
775 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2013  06:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tom Goodheart to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It depends what you are collecting. All my high end coins are in a mahogany cabinet - but then they aren't going to be affected by exposure to the air or toning issues or minute rubbing issues against the velvet but that's because they are all older coins where the pursuit of a "perfect coin" isn't an issue. For anything modern, say 1900 onwards, and super high end, some form of encapsulation might be best.

What Bacchus said. Here in the UK people still use coin cabinets. I had mine made for me (though to standard specifications) The coins sit on felt roundels which show them off nicely. Like this:

But I have seen Lighthouse (and similar European systems) where you have a plastic tray into which you can fit raw coins (in circular spaces, though square are available) or those in capsules. I think they are quite elegant.

There's a thread here that discusses these: https://www.coincommunity.com/forum...PIC_ID=64541

Quite why cabinets don't seem to have caught on more widely in the US, I don't know. Maybe it's the idea of having pre-labeled holes that you just fill, and the idea of 'completing something? Those were certainly popular here when lots of people collected date runs. But they don't accommodate coin varieties very well, such as when one year has two different designs.

Or maybe it's habit. People see Danscos and that's what they use. Here inthe UK you go to a dealer and they use a tray system or cabinet and you think 'that's what I'll use'. Maybe.

There are various storage solutions out there. You might just have to look more widely for something that appeals to you.

Let us know what you decide on!

Edited by Tom Goodheart
08/26/2013 06:22 am
Valued Member
United States
256 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2013  11:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jwguts to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ Tom Goodheart
I think you nailed it by saying there's an urge to complete these albums. I really am that way. I can pick up a used Dansco album at a coin show, and then it starts working on my psyche. Gotta fill it.
Valued Member
United States
256 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2013  11:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jwguts to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure if they even make Kointains anymore... I bought a whole lot of them years ago. My best coins go into a Kointain, then into a 2x2, and then into a display box. They are airtight, and only come in contact with the edges. They are round, just large enough to hold the coin, so they don't take up much more space than the coin would alone. Too tight to fit into a standard Dansco, though. Which is why I suggested getting the nearest millimeter size blank Dansco pages.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19186 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2013  5:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I sometimes think we all try to hard to preserve each coin. actually even entire Albums. So many purchase rolls of coins and put them in plastic tubes, seal the tops, place in an air tight box or container. Myself, I keep most of my coins in Wiitman Classic Albums and those inside Zip Lock Plastic bags. Of course to add a coin means one step further in doing so. Oddly enough so many of us attempt to fill an Album to completion and yet the end result is an item of much less value than each coin indiviually. By this I mean if you add up all the approximate values of the coins in an Album, you'ld find not a chance of selling it for that. But to try to sell each coin separately, you'ld come out way ahead.
As to your statement of why not a better way to store and display valuable coins? Why bother? Placing valuable ocins on display in possibly 90% of the country is like saying here is some money, please take it. Regardless of if an Album is worth $1 or $1,000 or even more, still can't put it on display in most places. With todays crime rate, even difficult to show a coin sollection to your family, friends or neighbors. So if you could find a fanastic Album, one that shows all your coins and in airtights, now what? Where would you show it? Who would you show it to?
This problem is true with guns, knives, stamps and most collections.
Maybe I'm more pessimistic than most but where I live, someone even stole my neighbors gate. It was a chain link fince type and the metal brings money. Placing coins on display is OK for a museum but just not practicle for most of us.
just carl
Valued Member
United States
374 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2013  6:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bababooey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Carl: that's a very dark view of things, but I like it! Mostly it is so I can enjoy my collection. I guess I can put it is the bank vault at some point. Considering, based on my other posts/replies, how much I over paid, the resale value won't be too high any ways ha ha ha.
Valued Member
United States
374 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2013  6:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bababooey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with the 'need to complete' statement. Don't think I'm going to buy any other albums. Maybe just focus on selling off some other coins that I don't wish to keep. I'm not really doing it for an investment so if I'm not looking at the coins, really what is the point?

I think maybe having a minimal amount is probably best.
Valued Member
United States
374 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2013  7:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bababooey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you look around they have really nice albums and storage for the state / park quarters. Coins that basically will be worth face value probably for decades or longer. The parks album I got is quite nice, with pictures and facts etc. I guess there is more of a demand for that.
Valued Member
United States
256 Posts
 Posted 08/27/2013  8:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jwguts to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, the State Quarters, the National park quarters... lots of choices for those. That is not a bad thing, since people who are collecting those coins are doing so for the fun of collecting, and not for investing. It's good for the hobby.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05