Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

One Of These Days I've Got To Go To A Fun Show

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
United States
173 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2016  12:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add freddo30 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Many years ago I faithfully attended dozens (hundreds?) of shows, including FUN and ANA as well as local and regional.

Several factors combined caused the end of this practice including but not limited to: the difficulties encountered in travelling with (or without) valuables since the advent of TSA ; the high cost of travel, accommodations, rental cars, etc.; advancing age and medical issues (existing conditions and new ones acquired from travel/show crowds).

The ongoing development of the hopelessly more convenient internet where very little price haggling occurs and is never based upon personal appearance or perceived lack (or abundance) of knowledge is the rule. Poor lighting, hasty decisions, physical discomfort and a lack of privacy in transactions are also negated by online dealings.

Many of the larger cities are increasingly dangerous urban quagmires and/or overly crowded due to other unrelated attractions such as theme parks, etc.

I've grown to dislike face-to-face dealings with dealers for a number of reasons and many if not most of my trusted and favored merchants have passed away or retired.

My residential state of Ohio has killed the once thriving coin show / coin shop business by the re-imposition of sales tax on all purchases at levels ranging from 6.5 to 8.75 percent, an immediate loss of value which may take years to recover. I'm not anxious to donate every 12th coin to the state whose Bureau of Workers Compensation fomented a major scandal involving millions of dollars worth of rare coins purchased with tax money which was levied against employers ostensibly to aid job-injured workers.

I apologize if these statements appear to be sour grapes but emotions play very little part in my reasoning and I perceive myself a victim of changing times.
Edited by freddo30
03/25/2016 07:32 am
Page: of 3  Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.06 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05