Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Why Did You Quit Metal Detecting?

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1178 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2013  5:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MetDet71 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Buy a machine and try it. You will never know if it's for you until you try.
For perspective, I have been detecting for neons (over 30 years ish) and have only dug 3 gold coins.
If you live near the coast grab yourself a beach machine for 150 dollars - loads of fun and you will see if it's for you!
Valued Member
United States
402 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2013  5:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add giorgio11 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I quit metal detecting because I used to live in Dallas Texas and Texas is "new country," very metropolitan, not much chance to explore old schoolhouse grounds and/or hitching posts (where the cowboys would hitch their horses). Now though I live in Virginia, fairly rural part, I should buy a metal detector. Oh wait, I am already working 60 hours a week!

Best Regards,

George
Best Regards,

George
https://VDBCoins.com
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1178 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2013  6:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MetDet71 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
60 hours? I used to work more than that, maybe thats why I am retired now and can detect as much as I like, all day long
Valued Member
384 Posts
 Posted 11/10/2013  8:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Yeoldecoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just find that the walk and freshair is as good as a nice find......
I detect with my 8yr old lad, we have about 6000acres to detect on in Southern UK, when we go out we have several goals/targets to achieve, or not and it makes it more fun and less upsetting for us both if we do not find.
1. get a signal (non ferrous)
2. find something not junk such as a button/buckle/coin
3. find something for the collection box at home
4. find a coin for the display case
5. find Roman coin
6. find a hammered silver coin (medieval)
7. find Roman artefact
8. find gold
9. find a hoard
we always have this on a piece of paper and see how far we can get up the list..(you can jump straight past the lower numbers if you strike lucky!)
Last week we found a buckle, two coins from 1700's, 2 Roman coins and a gold ring!! in an afternoon...
isn't usually that good, but thats where the list comes in. Just nice to be out with my lad and trying to beat him to the find before he grabs it out of the hole.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3747 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2013  7:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeoldecoins that is a great goal! I also like get out with my boy.
When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors...
Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
Edited by fistfulladirt
11/13/2013 7:13 pm
Valued Member
384 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2013  8:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Yeoldecoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeh for me a day with my lad in the fresh air is worth any coin, any day!!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3252 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2013  10:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add philadelphian to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting (at least, to a Yank) that a Roman coin is a notch below medieval on your list...
Valued Member
384 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2013  4:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Yeoldecoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Most medieval coins are hammered silver and usually in very nice condition compared to the usual crusty Roman coins, unless of course its a silver Roman, in which case it can climb on up the list to an unofficial 7 and a half......
Valued Member
United States
403 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2013  01:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cjspearsdog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"Yeh for me a day with my lad in the fresh air is worth any coin, any day!!"

That is why I bought my detector, something different for a father and son to do.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1620 Posts
 Posted 12/17/2013  10:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add daniels to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I started with a cheaper detector used that for about a year and then bought a better machine. Even the cheaper machines are good I witnessed a friend with the same $160 detector find a diamond ring on the beach and it paid for his detector. HH
Valued Member
United States
99 Posts
 Posted 12/21/2013  12:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pennycollecter93 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have an ACE 250, whenever I get a coin signal its always hard to find the object, and when I do, its mostly trash =(
I think my detector is broke.
Edited by pennycollecter93
12/21/2013 12:21 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
735 Posts
 Posted 12/21/2013  01:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add atticguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I bought my detector early this Spring when I was laid off and not working. I had lots of time on my hands and spent many hours at a couple of local parks. Actually though, my best finds were in my own backyard. That is where I found my first silver coin (a Mercury dime).
I did get called back to work in July and have not had much time since to detect. My days off are either spent catching up on household chores or much needed rest. Also, Michigan at this time of year is not a pleasant time to detect in.
Hopefully I can budget my time better when the good weather comes back next year and go out a couple times a month. Even when I don't find anything of interest I enjoy the time outdoors and the relaxation of detecting.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.89 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05