Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Numismatics Termology In Foreign Languages

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

Australia
3185 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2013  1:10 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add gxseries to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm been a freelance translator and I know that some termologies cannot be easily found in dictionaries unless you are both a numismatics and a translator.

For instance try to translate these terms in another language: error, brockage, overstrike, overdate, double die, multiple strikes, counterfeit, plated, clad, etc. I think there are some terms that are easier (or standard) such as diameter, weight, metals etc but some technical terms may pose a challenge.

Reason why I ask is I'm getting stuck in a rut in the field that I am collecting and I would like to broaden my knowledge looking at foreign markets. Imagine looking for error coins from the middle of Middle East, reading latest articles about counterfeits coming from China, bullion articles and so forth.

I acknowledge English is a universal language but at times I think that I might have taken it for granted especially in a wide field of numismatics I focus on. What I propose is to setup a page for people to use it as a guideline. At times I have seen sellers from overseas trying to describe funny things. For instance a seller has attempted to describe an overstrike as "new and old coin". Bit crude but ruins potential customers. Another possibility is that you might be able to check out a foreign website for error coins and find some gem in there. Figured that coin forums are the best place to post as there are some foreign collectors hiding somewhere and it may help others who find English is not their language.

Ambitious but I see this as a long term project. Suggestions?
My partial coin collection http://www.omnicoin.com/collection/gxseries

My numismatics articles and collection: http://www.gxseries.com/numis/numis_index.htm Regularly updated at least once a month.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3372 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2013  2:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think the result would be wonderful (for an example of this from my field, Google for the "Unix Rosetta Stone" a/k/a A Sysadmin's Unixersal Translator (ROSETTA STONE) OR What do they call that in this world?), which barring the leap from computers to coins is exactly what you are proposing.

I think Google is your best bet here... that plus good old-fashioned networking. For example, search for "Saudi Arabian numismatist" and the first hit is to "a numismatic blog with a focus on items from the Arab world". Drop him a line and maybe you can help each other.

You could also send a letter to the various publications - one frequently sees requests for help with article and research projects in progress in Numismatic News, The Numismatist, etc.
-----Burton
46 year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Life member: Numismatics International, CONECA
Member: TNA, FtWCC, NETCC
Owned by four cats and a wife of 35 years (joined 1983)
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
2995 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2013  2:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll start off with two Russian terms you probably already know:
overstrike - перечекан (perechekan)
counterfeit - подделка (poddelka)
I can't think of any of the rest offhand (though "double strike" is probably "двойной удар" [dvoynoy udar]). I suppose I could try to search though
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19171 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2013  6:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Monumetal and highly improbably task. The main problem is not just with translating, but the inventiveness of a specific hobby, job, etc. By that I mean in almost any field people have a tendency to invent terminology specific to their personal sitations. Forexample look to the left at Glossary. So many of the terms used are specific to Numismatism and Numismatism only.
For example look up Arrows. To a Numismatist that means something on a coin possibly next to the date. To an Archer it is an impliment for shooting. For Mr. Wrigley, it is a symbol on his gum. If you think about your own job. How many terms and abbreveations do you and your co workers use that to many make little CENTS.
All I'm trying to say is we have a tendency to invent something of our situations like hobbies that we use and others almost think it's a different language.
I'm always amazed at translators that do their jobs and with possibly massive errors possible that oculd lead to dangerous situations.
What is really needed is a universal language.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
Australia
3185 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2013  12:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gxseries to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't get me wrong Bstrauss3 but there's so many ways that I can break a translation program and will end up with hilarious translation.

For instance in English think of these words:

Die - people will think it's a scary hobby when death is involved
Mule - A cross between a horse and donkey
Pattern - Something very decorative
Press - Bench press!
Blank - Nothing
Upset - I can't take this anymore! :sob:

I'm sure that even trying to explain these to an average person who doesn't know much about numismatics can be interesting.

It will definitely require cooperation from other foreign speaking collectors to make this possible.
My partial coin collection http://www.omnicoin.com/collection/gxseries

My numismatics articles and collection: http://www.gxseries.com/numis/numis_index.htm Regularly updated at least once a month.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3372 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2013  08:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wasn't suggesting Google translate - go back and re-read, please. I was suggesting Google to find numismatists who are native speakers of a given language but have enough English to also post on the web. The Saudi gentleman whose blog I indirectly references writes near-perfect English, but I'm willing to bet can also give the OP many numismatic terms in at least one dialect of Arabic. Similarly if he wants Hebrew terms, email somebody at AINA (American Israel Numismatic Association - http://amerisrael.com), etc.

That's what I meant by networking.
-----Burton
46 year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Life member: Numismatics International, CONECA
Member: TNA, FtWCC, NETCC
Owned by four cats and a wife of 35 years (joined 1983)
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
2995 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2013  03:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, I'm a native speaker of Russian. So what? Most of my numismatic reading was in English except where it applied to Russian coin, so I often either had never encountered them or have no idea what the equivalence is.
That said, as a native Russian speaker I can google Russian-only sources without problems with understanding, and thus might be able to associate specific Russian terms with the English terms I know already.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2357 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2013  03:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bacchus2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's probably worth mentioning that there already is a Wiki for ancient coins and all the associated terminology

http://www.forumancientcoins.com/Nu...iki/view.asp

This won't translate into non-English modern languages, but it does help with Latin.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05