Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Nickel Dollars Struck Through Bronze Fragments

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Learn More...
Canada
8926 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2013  5:56 pm Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I tend to find these on occasion, most are embedded by the collar die into the reeding and rim, but occasionally, you see flakes and fragments of copper struck right into the nickel.

Not super scarce, but not common either...

"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1581 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2013  7:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dialog_gvf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Neat.

Does this occur with other denominations?
How does the contamination occur?
Have you/can you determine the nature of the flakes? Copper or penny bronze?
Learn More...
Canada
8926 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2013  01:37 am  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I cannot speak for other denominations, except for small cents (which is moot when it comes to copper flakes)...

Unsure of the composition. I suppose I could take it into work and put it under the SEM...
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
933 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2013  10:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pennysaver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi dialogue_gvf

I know of at least one other denomination with this cross-contamination flaking - I have a 1967 penny with a silverish flake in it. It's possible that it's an actual silver flake, given the year, but that's not a for sure as we were also minting nickels, and any coins that we minted for other countries used different alloys as well.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
669 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2013  12:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Scissel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a 1992 Alberta 25c with embedded scrap. I think it's a fragment of copper.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1725 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2015  4:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add koinpro to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Most Off-Metal flakes hitch-hike a ride on planchets that are processed from out of tubs that also carried copper blanks and/or planets in an earlier operation. In effect, most tubs will have various flakes within.
Learn More...
Canada
8926 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2020  4:59 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To dust off an old thread... I found a couple more in a recent search. I usually sell the small ones, but these two are larger than normal, and of course, keepers!

This one is on the reverse of a 1975 dollar

This one is on the obverse of a 1980 dollar (almost like the Queen is wearing an ascot).

My eBay store
Learn More...
Canada
8926 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2020  5:00 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Does this occur with other denominations?

Yes, in the business strike nickel 50-cent pieces, most common in the early 1980s. I have sold a few over the years in my eBay store.

My eBay store
Learn More...
Canada
8926 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2020  5:37 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is another one in my collection, on the reverse of a 1974 dollar.

My eBay store
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.83 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05