Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

New 2013 Whale 25 Cent

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 46 / Views: 22,508Next Topic
Page: of 4
Valued Member

Canada
408 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2013  9:44 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add SelectCoinCanada to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I thought I would share my results with this variety. I posted these same pictures in another thread but now I've had time to search some rolls. There are two versions of this quarter, the easiest way to tell them apart is the frosting on the baby whales. For this variety it will only be found on the version without frosting on the babies.

90 coins searched, 15 found of this variety. So approx 16%

This is what the coin is supposed to look like.

Now this one with missing frosting on the fin.

Valued Member
Canada
227 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2013  11:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add don in nmkt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Apparently there is a set of 4 quarters, Each one has a plain scene and a frosted scene. One scene is the whales and the other is an expedition party and their dogs. So whales on one and expedition party on the other, both in frosted and not frosted.

Went to my bank today and scored a whole box of them!!
Valued Member
Canada
408 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2013  12:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SelectCoinCanada to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
So whales on one and expedition party on the other, both in frosted and not frosted.

Actually both versions of the whale quarter are frosted, but in different areas. Again, I'm curious how they will list these in Trends.

Good score on the box by the way!
Valued Member
Canada
286 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2013  5:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add castor to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello fed_ink85

I put a link of your piece here to track dies variétés frosting of the members of this site for 25 cents 2013 Arctic "BELUGA WHALE AND BOREAL".

http://www.numicanada.com/forum/vie...f=25&t=21539
Edited by castor
11/27/2013 5:13 pm
Valued Member
Canada
408 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2013  09:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SelectCoinCanada to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's great Castor, thanks for the acknowledgement! I will be watching for updates
Pillar of the Community
Canada
822 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2013  09:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add punman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are these ciculated coins? I know nothing about them? When did they come out?
Valued Member
Canada
475 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2013  09:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rmc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They are in the circulation packs like the Brook, Secord etc...they are available on RCM site
Pillar of the Community
Canada
822 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2013  2:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add punman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks - just went there and ordered some. Sounds like they are not available for a couple of weeks.
Valued Member
Canada
250 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2013  8:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add windychimes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the info, also!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
822 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2013  01:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add punman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I got three rolls of the Arctic quarters today (120 coins). 53 had the whales. 22 were non frosted baby whales. Of those 22, only 5 were missing frosting on the front bottom fin of the big whale. So 5/22 = 23% missing the frosting. That could just be due to chance or perhaps there are less of that type. I may try to find more rolls tomorrow.

I really like the look of the whale coin. I don't much care for the expedition people one. It is too busy for a coin that small. It would look better on a 50 cent piece or larger silver or gold coin.

I am waiting for my pack of these quarters to come from the mint. Would you expect the quality to be any different from the rolls from the bank or do they all come from the same supply?
Canada
18 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2013  6:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dirtydug to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just picked up 2 rolls from the Mint here in Winnipeg. Out of 80 coins I got 5 frosted Expedition, 5 non frosted Expedition, 4 non frosted Baby Whales, and 66 frosted baby whales.
....dirtydug
Valued Member
Canada
408 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2013  11:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SelectCoinCanada to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I got three rolls of the Arctic quarters today (120 coins). 53 had the whales. 22 were non frosted baby whales. Of those 22, only 5 were missing frosting on the front bottom fin of the big whale. So 5/22 = 23% missing the frosting. That could just be due to chance or perhaps there are less of that type. I may try to find more rolls tomorrow.

Sorry, I must have missed this post. Thank you for your numbers, now 112 coins searched, 20 of this variety found = 18%

Quote:
I just picked up 2 rolls from the Mint here in Winnipeg. Out of 80 coins I got 5 frosted Expedition, 5 non frosted Expedition, 4 non frosted Baby Whales, and 66 frosted baby whales.

dirtydug, your rolls were mixed? The rolls I received at the exchange were not mixed at all, four versions, four rolls.
Canada
18 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2013  1:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dirtydug to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Fed_ink, The rolls were mixed and the fellow at the mint told me they were. He also said the rolls were shorted on the expedition quarters, but did not mention the frosting missing on the one style of whale quarters. I didn't receive in my 2 rolls any of the whale quarters with the missing frosting.
He gave me 5 of the "Heart of the Arctic" coin booklets for the 4 varieties. I'm going back to the mint tomorrow for 4 more rolls. I'm going to take what I need and put the rest back into circulation.
Canada
18 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2013  1:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dirtydug to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is one of the quarters I pulled from the mint roll. It has quite a deep nick in the rim of the coin. Is this a coin that should be kept, or not ?

Valued Member
Canada
408 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2013  2:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SelectCoinCanada to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would put this one into circulation but save all the extra rolls you get, they will sell for a small premium down the road at zero risk. Thanks for the info on the rolls, still witing on my 10 packs from the mint and I'll grab some rolls from ColonialAcres sometime soon.
Valued Member
Canada
408 Posts
 Posted 12/16/2013  4:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SelectCoinCanada to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Received my 10 collector cards on Friday, and then 10 packs of quarters yesterday(yes, CP delievered to my house on a Sunday)

Out of the 10 packs, I did not find any of the variety.
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 46 / Views: 22,508Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.83 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05