Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help With Greek Coin

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 835Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
581 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2014  6:39 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add dwayne8625 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Sense I started my coin hobby I have pretty much stayed in line with roman imperial, but after becoming a member here I have seen some very fascinating coins and learned a lot of history. So I've been expanding on my coin collecting interest to include greek and other ancients that may catch my eye. Outside of romans though I have very little knowledge and I have trouble pinning down the ones I have, this one in particular. The only thing I do know is that the obverse is a bust of Apollo and the reverse is a god reclining on a plinth. I have found several examples but most of them contradict each other, such as the god is holding a thyrsus and the others say a patera. Another is what I thought was a monogram above the shoulder of the god and most make no note of it. The last thing is I have seen ODHSITWN on the plinth but mine was either worn down or does not have it. Any help and insight would be greatly appreciated.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5749 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2014  8:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These seem to match, assuming the size and weight of yours are similar:
http://www.acsearch.info/record.html?id=222603
http://www.acsearch.info/record.html?id=234656

As you say, yours is simply worn down.
Pillar of the Community
United States
581 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2014  8:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dwayne8625 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks bob, sorry about forgetting the dimensions... 14.06mm 3.88g.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18419 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2014  9:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The introduction to the study of Greek coinage is usually via the study of Roman Imperial, thence Roman Colonial local coinages.
Two reasons for this:
Greek coinage has a different script.
The development of Greek coinage(s) does not follow a logical time line. They were issued by very loosely connected city states, not by a central government.

Generally speaking Greek coins are scarcer to find. The result is usually that most ancient coin collections have far fewer Greek coins in them than Roman ones.
Edited by sel_69l
02/07/2014 11:32 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4756 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2014  10:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chrsmat71 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
still a cool coin, even worn. I like the river god "relaxing" reverse.
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 835Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05