Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Hsn At It Again! Hall Of Fame Coin!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
28 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2014  3:39 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add jimfan to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I watched HSN over the weekend and as expected, they had the Silver Proof and Unc. Baseball Hall of Fame in hand, explaining they had to fly "someone" to Baltimore to pick these up, they said they had over 2 thousand in hand and already graded PF70 and MS70 by ANACS.

I especially loved the scene where the HSN woman (not knowledgeable about coins)tried to move the slab and the coin collector Mike, stopped her saying it was in a sample holder...I noticed it was being held together with scotch tape. Haha, but hey it was graded a 70, shouldn't that be sealed?...lol

Anyway, I always love watching these shows for giggle.

By the way, the PF70 Silver HOF coin was being sold for $179.95 (4 flex pays of $44.95) and telling the viewers good luck getting these from the mint even if you have a confirmation order #....haha.

Anyone else see the show this weekend? Thoughts?
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2014  4:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
doesn't surprise me. They have deep pockets. I dont buy the baltimore thing one bit though. The mint gave them their order early. There werent enough for sale at baltimore for the prices dealers were paying to make it worth it to hsn. Even with anacs just providing slabs for them like they basically do given the fact hsn leaving them would probably put them out of business thats to fast of a turn around.

They were either playing up the already have them part when they dont or the mint gave them to them early ignoring ordering limits. Neither would surprise me. When you spend as much as they do the mints going to give you extra special treatment.
Pillar of the Community
United States
509 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2014  4:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CLS12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I went to HSN website after seeing this... they have "estimate shipping date on May 9th"
Pillar of the Community
United States
2543 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2014  4:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add denco7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
His Rep (probably some 18 yr old intern) went to the Baltimore show,stood in line outside the show for hours, ran over to the Mint's booth, stood in line for hours more, until the mint opened sales for these coins got as many of each as he could of the UNC, Proof and Halfs. Ran to the airport and flew to Denver, presumably where ANAC's is headquartered, had ANACs slab the samples with the special slab and limited edition #1 of 2014 MS70 label. Jump back on a plane to fly the graded samples to Tampa/st. Pete for the Fri. night show.

According to Mike, he bought 2500 gold, 20,000 silver and 37,000 halfs in order to assure his run of MS70's
as of Sat, he had already sold 500 of the silver coins at $179
Edited by denco7
03/31/2014 4:34 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
899 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2014  5:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Doug58s to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
He is selling coins he doesn't have... he is sounding a lot like the eBay pre-sellers trying to get people to give them $600 weeks early for a coin they could buy on their own for $425 if they just went to the mints website and ordered.

I wish there was someway to get that stopped...
United States
28 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2014  7:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimfan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I bet his next show, he will have the $5 gold PR and MS in hand, for some reason, he did not have them ready for this past weekends showing.

Maybe the red oak presentation boxes were not ready yet?!

"Please do your family right and pick up a few of these if you can, pick up a few of these if you can" -2 Times Mike!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4821 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2014  07:15 am  Show Profile   Check Foxwoods Man's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Foxwoods Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
According to Mike, he bought 2500 gold, 20,000 silver and 37,000 halfs

"He" must have had to pay for an additional carry on bag since just the "20,000 silver" would weigh well over a half a ton without any packaging
Pillar of the Community
United States
2543 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2014  12:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add denco7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
"He" must have had to pay for an additional carry on bag since just the "20,000 silver" would weigh well over a half a ton without any packaging

Ha....ha... He only had the few that he bought at the Baltimore show. He says he bought 5% of the total mintages across board. But with a May 9th delivery date, he is obviously waiting for his order too.
United States
28 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2014  2:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimfan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's a sad day when HSN is considered the better buying choice than eBay for the HOF coins, the prices I am seeing on eBay are breathtaking to say the least!
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2014  01:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The eBay prices are from the Baltimore label being a very limited release. The hsn coins are also anacs coins not PCGS or NGC and anacs moderns have very small premiums. It's really comparing apples and oranges right now since they aren't selling the same thing. The anacs ones will be cheaper than hsn when they hit eBay
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.06 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05