Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1999 D Error Penny

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 24 / Views: 15,384Next Topic
Page: of 2
United States
21 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2014  8:36 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add hogan36 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I got this Penny about a month ago. I would like to know what kind of error would you consider this? If you look(IB in Liberty) and also the year, it appears to me that the back Nine Looks Bigger.

*** Edited by Staff to remove YELLING from the subject ***
Pillar of the Community
United States
797 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2014  9:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CGCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Struck Through Grease, pretty common error. Unless a good portion of the design is missing, not really worth much premium,
Pillar of the Community
872 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2014  9:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Collector-Corner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The LIBERTY poertion looks like the die got filled in with grease. The grease packs in the die so tightly, it doesn't hammer the coin right.

As for the Date, yeah if that a 1999, its a unique one. I personally haven't see that on a coin before, if that last "9" swoops way out there. There will be a few other resident experts to chime in. I'd have to see a better shot of the "9" to determine whats up. If your camera has a MACRO or closeup feature, usually indicated by a flower, you can turn that on and get closer pictures. If you zoom in, I personally don't zoom in any more than 2.0x when in the macro or closeup mode.
United States
21 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2014  11:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hogan36 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thanks for the information. i'll try and post another picture.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
51647 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2014  12:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It might be a partial filled tail of the 9? Making the outside edge appear farther away?
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
2022 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2014  4:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikediamond to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This might be a case of "grease mold doubling"

http://m.coinworld.com/Articles/mig...-create-nove

I'd like to examine it, if at all possible. This would be the first example outside the year 1995. As such, it would warrant a write-up in Coin World.
Error coin writer and researcher.
Edited by mikediamond
04/02/2014 1:35 pm
United States
1 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2014  3:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mpara5521 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Soft Die Error?

If you can stipulate that only the die itself could have made that impression of the warped 9 of the date on the obverse, then the only logical conclusion is a soft die error. The missing letters in LIBERTY could be die fill but could also be the result of the soft die error. It also looks like you could have some warping going on at the bottom of the letters of IN GOD WE TRUST.
Pillar of the Community
United States
585 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2014  02:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hflirn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I also like the weird colors involved. Would this be from the grease on the die or other factors?
United States
21 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2014  12:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hogan36 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have no clue about the color because that's the way it was when I got it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1550 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2014  7:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sudz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
hogan36, if I may make a suggestion... I would contact Mike Diamond who has volunteered (earlier in this post) to take a look at it. You may not know this but he is one of the top experts in the world regarding error coins (literally wrote the book on the subject)and the fact that he is willing to take a look at it speaks well of the possibilities of your coin. He will take excellent care of it, give you his expert opinion as to what you have, and get it back to you safe and sound. Best of all he will do this at no cost to you other than shipping. It is actually an amazing opportunity and then you will know what you have. Good luck, I hope it is something fantastic!
United States
21 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2014  1:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hogan36 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Mike for wanting to take time to examine this coin for me. There are a few questions I would like to ask. How do I get my coin to you? After you examine my coin and it is what it is would I still have to submit it to a attribution service or have it graded? How much would it cost to have it shipped to you? Once again thanks
Pillar of the Community
United States
2022 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2014  1:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikediamond to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Activate your e-mail capability on this site and I will send you instructions. Right now it's turned off. Alternatively, you can find my e-mail address at this link:

http://conecaonline.org/content/con...aminers.html
Error coin writer and researcher.
Edited by mikediamond
04/24/2014 1:47 pm
United States
21 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2014  2:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hogan36 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
what do I need to go up under on this site to activate my email capability?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1550 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2014  4:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sudz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Click on your name, then click on My CCF. Enter your password in the box (if required). Click on Manage My Profile. Say yes to allowing forum members to email you and you should be good to go.
United States
21 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2014  4:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hogan36 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thanks I just turned it on
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
51647 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2014  4:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Except you have to have a certain number of posts before you can email members.

Here are the forum rules:
https://www.coincommunity.com/forum...sp#rulesid20
I couldn't find the number though. But always nice to know the rules.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
04/24/2014 4:41 pm
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 24 / Views: 15,384Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05