Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Should the Kennedy Half have never existed?

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Bedrock of the Community
United States
14445 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2018  12:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How did I miss this thread?

Quote:
The same applies to Canada where the 50 cent coin is hardly ever used in commerce ?

And Canada DID reduce the size of their half dollar, and it still didn't circulate.

Quote:
Roosevelt being placed on the dime set a precedent. Kennedy's death assured he would be (almost immediately) placed on a coin.

Add the fact that he, and Jackie, were wildly popular plus a TELEVISED assassination and the demand that he be put on a coin was a foregone conclusion.

Quote:
If Kennedy hadn't been killed it is likely that the half dollar would have been made of the same clad composition as dimes and quarters from the get go.

Nope, the 64 would have still been 90% silver because all the coins were, and the 40% silver halves were a political sop to get the Western states to agree to the approval of the clad composition for the dime and quarter. The half would have gone 40% no matter who was on it.

Quote:
If the events of November 22, 1963 did not occur then perhaps the silver content would have stayed a little longer. It is possible that part of the continuing rise in sliver prices was driven by the removal of so many new Kennedy halves. Yes, I know the price of silver was already rising before he was shot, but perhaps it would have stayed low enough to continue with silver coinage a while longer

No, the writing was on the wall for the end of silver coinage long before the assassination. The price of silver had risen to the point where all the silver coins were worth less than their metal content by January of 1963. All of the massive coinage of 1963 and 1964 silver coins produced to fight the coin shortage were issued at a loss. (And a big factor creating the shortage was that all the coin being produced were already worth more than their face value.)

Quote:
There was actually little hoarding of the silver clad issues because people considered it debased junk.

Any hoarding of the 40% coins would have been because of the Kennedy fixation. They wouldn't have been hoarded because of their silver content because they were still worth more an money than as silver. The silver value didn't exceed the face value until 1974, long after the 40%er had been discontinued.

Quote:
Had Kennedy not have been assassinated the FHD would have run its course. Maybe at that time the half dollar could have been retired totally or would it be featuring another face by now.

No we would probably have Franklin. But the time it would have reach the end of the 25 year run, 1973, the Treasury was solidly into their policy of resisting ANY changes in the designs on the coinage. Plus by then there were aready pushes for the Bicentennial coins and it would have been a natural to keep Franklin for that. No I feel fairly sure that if Kennedy hadn't been assassinated we would still have Franklin haves today.

Quote:
Ronnie Ray-Gun? On a coin? Over my dead body.

Are you dead yet? 2016 Reagan dollar.
Gary Schmidt
Edited by Conder101
10/12/2018 12:39 pm
Valued Member
Canada
119 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2018  4:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cdncoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like the Kennedy half more than the Franklin. I'm glad the switch was made. However, as in Canada, these coins are no longer made for circulation. I really don't see the point of making them year after year other than to add more weight to the uncirculated/proof sets and generate more revenue for the Mint.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
5086 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2018  4:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Last post was :
Posted 04/28/2014 12:44 pm

Edited by Dorado
10/12/2018 4:27 pm
Valued Member
United States
133 Posts
 Posted Today  18H 0M ago  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add orange26 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think the coin is fine way it is. It would be nice if more banks have them, though.
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05