Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

The 12 Olympians And Others...zeus

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

United States
1269 Posts
 Posted 04/27/2014  12:08 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Doucet to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi everyone....and may I say WELCOME to all the folks who are new on the ancient forum since I last posted!.... Welcome.

And hats off to our moderator, Mr. echizento. Ski I hope you can forgive my poor attribution skills. I just don't seem to find the time to get it all together. Hopefully there is enough info for someone to find the coins correct attribution if need be.

I haven't been around for a while, or collecting too much, but here is what I have been doing.

I have been collecting portraits coins of the twelve Greek gods that resided on Mt.Olympus (actually thirteen if you include Hestia) as well as other ancient gods and heroes, all in bronze coins.

Silver coins would be easier for some gods and goddesses, but I just like bronze coins.

Here are three Zeus portrait coins I have so far.

Please do feel free to post any and all of your Zeus coins. I would love to see them.

I will post the other Olympians and other Greek characters in future threads.

Syria, Antioch, AE 19 under Roman rule, year 12, 38/37 BC.
Head of Zeus
Tripod, with faces on Lebes(bowl), Greek inscription.

I have looked, but interestingly as of yet, I have been unable to find another instance of faces on a Greek lebes anywhere in Greek art, other than another Syrian coin similar to this one with Tyche on obv.

Cilicia, Aigeai Æ21. 47-29 BC.
Laureate head of Zeus
Athena Nikephoros standing l., holding Nike and resting hand on shield; spear to r.

This coin is rather dirty, but has a nice portrait of Zeus . I've soaked it in distilled water for a while , but the dirt is very stubborn. I do like it as is and as I'm not much for cleaning coins I'll just leave it for someone to properly clean it after I'm gone.

Ptolemy XII, Auletes (flute player) 80-51 BC
Zeus Ammon, Headdress of Isis
Egypt, 13mm, 2.1g Svoronos 1845

I love this portrait. The way the engraver used a single crescent line to form the mouth, cheek and beard on the coin is pure genius IMO and would rival any abstract artist of today.

On the rev. I wish I knew what the symbols below the headdress are. I think the headdress of Isis could be a study all on it's own.

Here is a partial set of my 12 Olympians with my favorites so far. I'm still missing three (or four).

I've been working with a pretty small budget, but nice examples of these last four will be hard to get in bronze without spending a bit.

Again please post your Zeus coins and thanks for looking at this post.

doucet

Learn More...
United States
22523 Posts
 Posted 04/27/2014  12:17 am  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Doucet welcome back. I really like your theme of the twelve Olympians. You have an excellent collection. Hope to see you back more often.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1269 Posts
 Posted 04/27/2014  12:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Doucet to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks echizento.

I've been reading many of the threads and hope to find time to post a little more.

BTW, congrats on your latest acquisitions, there really beautiful.
Pillar of the Community
Netherlands
1204 Posts
 Posted 04/27/2014  07:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dutchgulden to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh very nice Doucet! I really like your theme, nice set of zeus!

I only have 1 bronze coin of Zeus Ammon 37mm (not 100% Zeus, I know)but still a nice addition to this forum:

Valued Member
United States
87 Posts
 Posted 04/27/2014  11:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add WillyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great coins Doucet! Definitely an interesting theme. What type do you plan on using for hephaestus?

Here's another Zeus for ya-

ELIS, Olympia. 128th-132nd Olympiad. 268-252 BC. AR Triobol or Hemidrachm (14mm, 2.33 g, 2h). Seltman, Temple Series XXIII, p. 69, var. (control letter); BCD Olympia 222; HGC 5, 459.
OBV: Laureate head of Zeus right.
REV: Eagle standing right atop meta. Fine, toned.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4721 Posts
 Posted 04/27/2014  7:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chrsmat71 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
those are some sweet lookin' zeuses!

here's my favorite zeus, a ptolemy iii...pretty similar to DGs...

Pillar of the Community
United States
1269 Posts
 Posted 04/27/2014  8:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Doucet to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks!

Dutch, your big Ptolemy Zeus Ammon is a great coin. Thanks for showing it. I wish I had one for my set. I think it is 100% Zues, just from another time and place.

WillyB, I want to get some silver coins for the set eventually, your is a cool one. I'll keep am eye out for the type when I start adding the AR's.
Good question about Hephaistos. What am I gonna do? Most likely it will be the type from Malaca with Sol on the reverse, they're fairly reasonable and come up for sale pretty often. Other Hephaistos coins can be very costly, like the ones from Lipara and I haven't seen any of those come up for sale since I've been looking.

chrsmat your Ptolemy is very nice. Wish I had one. The Ptolemy I show is quite small in contrast, only 13mm compared to those big ol bad boys you guys have.

Valued Member
United Kingdom
201 Posts
 Posted 04/28/2014  05:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jimbo777 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice collection Doucet!!
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
3626 Posts
 Posted 04/28/2014  05:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pishpash to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are mine

Alexander the Great Tet

Ptolemy IV

Valerian I Tet

Pillar of the Community
United States
1269 Posts
 Posted 04/28/2014  6:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Doucet to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice collection of Zeus pishpash.

The Valerian I is interesting. I didn't see many examples of the type when looking on the web, and didn't see one on either Wildwinds or acsearch in a quick search.
Learn More...
United States
22523 Posts
 Posted 04/28/2014  7:47 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

A few of mine

Athena - Minerva

Neptune - Posiedon
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
3626 Posts
 Posted 04/28/2014  7:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pishpash to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Valerian is a tet from Alexandria. It does not photo well but is fabulous in the hand and weighs in at 10g and is 31mm.
milne 3864
Edited by pishpash
04/28/2014 7:57 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2480 Posts
 Posted 04/28/2014  10:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ThisIsFun to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice Zeuses Doucet and everyone! I've got bunches of Zeus-Ammons. Here are some of my faves:

And a couple of regular Zeuses

Edited by ThisIsFun
04/28/2014 10:14 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.84 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05