Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Judaea Capta Vespasian

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Netherlands
1204 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2014  11:46 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Dutchgulden to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I wasnt really searching for this coin but was able get it for a good price. Maybe not the best example because of the worn reverse but vespasian's bust makes it all good

A coin with real historic value:

Soon after the Temple at Jerusalem was razed by the victorious troops led by Titus in 70 CE, his father - Emperor Vespasian - launched an extensive issue of coins commemorating the hard fought Roman victory over the tiny Jewish nation. The Judaea Capta series lasted for 25 years under Vespasian and his two sons who succeeded him as Emperor - Titus and Domitian. These commemoratives were issued in bronze, silver and gold by mints in Rome, the Roman Empire, and Judaea.

The basic design elements of the coins struck in Rome or in its Empire are a palm tree and a seated figure of a female in an attitude of mourning.

The most common Judaea Capta coin is the silver denarius issued by Vespasian, picturing Judaea weeping beneath a Roman trophy, and the inscription IVDAEA.

Date Struck : AD 69-71
Diameter : 18 mm
Weight : 3.3 g
Obverse Legend : IMP CAESAR VESPASIANVS AVG
Obverse Description : Laureate head right
Reverse Legend : IVDAEA
Reverse Description : Judaea as mourning captive, seated right beneath trophy
Mint : Rome
Primary Reference : RIC 0015
Edited by Dutchgulden
05/03/2014 11:55 am
Learn More...
United States
22890 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2014  11:48 am  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin, I've been wanting to get one of these because of it's historical value.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
3626 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2014  12:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pishpash to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin Dutch, I am on the lookout for one of these, but so far they have been too expensive!
Pillar of the Community
United States
513 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2014  12:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chuy1530 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very cool, I love a coin with a story.
Pillar of the Community
Netherlands
1204 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2014  2:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dutchgulden to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, I was quite lucky to get it for 45€ incl shipping
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
4208 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2014  2:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ben to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good price for it, they often break £100 on eBay UK.

I recently sold a cut one ofr these (the trophy, the jewess and the IDAEA legend intact, but cut down by a plough) for peanuts. Needless to say, I shouldnt have let that one go.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2398 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2014  3:57 pm  Show Profile   Check Paul Bulgerin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Paul Bulgerin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is a very nice example: good hair detail on Vespasian's bust and on the trophy and the mourning Jewess along with a full IVDAEA.
Paul Bulgerin
Pillar of the Community
United States
4732 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2014  5:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chrsmat71 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
wonderful coin indeed DG, congrats to you.
Pillar of the Community
Netherlands
1204 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2014  3:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dutchgulden to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know Ben, it was a piece with good details I remember.
Pillar of the Community
Netherlands
1204 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2014  3:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dutchgulden to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No regrets buying this coin! I have cleaned it a little (especially the reverse) and its gorgeous!

Here are the new photos I needed to share with all of you:

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
3626 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2014  3:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pishpash to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dutch that is stunning :)
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.86 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05