Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post Your Coins Depicting Sailing Ships

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 1,527 / Views: 110,321Next Topic
Page: of 102
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5284 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  09:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Are we supposed to painstakingly go through nearly 100 pages before posting here?

I wouldn't think so, but I, personally, don't like to post a coin that has very recently been posted. I don't see much value in such "repeat" posts, I like to space things out a bit.

But, that's just my way of thinking! Its certainly not the rule for posting here.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
01/25/2021 09:08 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4595 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  10:13 am  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Are we supposed to painstakingly go through nearly 100 pages before posting here?

Heck no. Imho if you've got something to share let it fly. We don't mind seeing repeats. Many times it has probably been months since something was posted. Nice to see some of these beauties over again.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Learn More...
United States
96228 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  10:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
1920 and 1921 "Small Date" Pilgrim Tercentenary Half Dollars
Very nice!

Quote:
Nope!

(Although it is encouraged if you like the eye candy!)

But there is no obligation to avoid duplicating previous posts. Please feel free to share what you have.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5284 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  10:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another from the classic era of the US commemorative coin series - the 1924 Huguenot-Walloon half dollar. The coin was issued to commemorate the 300th anniversary of the formation of New Netherland - present-day New York City.

The sailing ship Nieu Nederland is depicted on the reverse. It was the ship that brought the first Huguenot-Walloon settlers/refugees to the New World.

1924 Huguenot-Walloon Tercentenary Half Dollar

For more about this coin, check out: 1924 Huguenot-Walloon Half Dollar and 1924 Huguenot-Walloon - Revisited.

For more on other US commemorative coins, check out Read More: Commems Collection.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Learn More...
United States
96228 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  11:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The sailing ship Nieu Nederland is depicted on the reverse. It was the ship that brought the first Huguenot-Walloon settlers/refugees to the New World.
Very interesting!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5284 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  5:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You can't talk about classic era US commemorative coins depicting ships without showing the 1936 (1938) Delaware Tercentenary Half Dollar which depicts the Kalmar Nyckel, the ship that helped bring the first group of colonists from Sweden and Finland to what would become New Sweden.

1936 (1938) New Sweden / Delaware Tercentenary Half Dollar

I've posted several times about the Delaware Tercentenary Half Dollar, you can check out the posts here: Read More: Commems Collection

Learn More...
United States
96228 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  5:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...the 1936 (1938) Delaware Tercentenary Half Dollar which depicts the Kalmar Nyckel, the ship that helped bring the first group of colonists from Sweden and Finland to what would become New Sweden.
Excellent!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5284 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  7:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's one that hasn't sailed into view in quite some time! (Sorry, I couldn't resist for some reason.) It's the 1937 Roanoke Colony Memorial half dollar, more commonly referred to as the "Roanoke." It commemorates the 350th anniversary of Sir Walter Raleigh's attempt at a permanent English settlement at Roanoke Island in present-day North Carolina; Raleigh financed the trip/colony, he did not physically lead it. The coin also celebrates the first child of English descent born in America -- Virginia Dare.

The sailing ships are on the reverse and flank the central figure of Elinor Dare holding her baby Virginia. The ships shown are meant to be representative of the sailing ships during the late 16th century vs. specific, named ships.

1937 Roanoke Colony Half Dollar

I've posted multiple times about the Roanoke, you can find the posts on the list presented here: Read More: Commems Collection

Valued Member
United States
487 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2021  08:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nickels_rule to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great write up of the Roanoke half dollar, love the early settlement type of coins.
Here is one that I posted some time ago but you can't talk about early settlements and not include the Jamestown 400th anniversary $1 coin from 2007. Plus it's just a dandy of a coin, IMO. Here is my example of it, I wasn't familiar with IGS but I'll go with the old saying here, "buy the coin, not the slab".

For a great write up of the Jamestown settlement you can read https://www.nps.gov/jame/learn/hist...mestown.htm.

Edited by Nickels_rule
01/28/2021 08:46 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5284 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2021  08:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...you can't talk about early settlements and not include the Jamestown 400th anniversary $1 coin from 2007. Plus it's just a dandy of a coin, IMO.

Very true! Historically important coin and very nice example of it! Thanks for sharing! (And at least one ship on each side!)

Edited by commems
01/28/2021 08:45 am
Learn More...
United States
96228 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5284 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2021  11:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's the 1936 Long Island Tercentenary half dollar from the classic era (1892-1954) of US commemorative coins.

The coin was issued to mark the 300th anniversary of the first European -- Dutch -- settlement on present-day Long Island in 1636. On its reverse is depicted an unnamed sailing ship meant to be representative of those used in the mid-17th century.

To learn more about this coin, check out my previous posts about it here: 1936 Long Island Tercentenary Half Dollar and here: 1936 Long Island Tercentenary Ephemera.

For more about US commemorative coins: Read More: Commems Collection

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4595 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2021  12:44 pm  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin commems as usual. Also great write ups on the links.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Learn More...
United States
96228 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8130 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2021  09:15 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
2018 'X' 10p from the UK - 'X marks the spot' on a treasure map!
Page: of 102 Previous TopicReplies: 1,527 / Views: 110,321Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.84 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05