Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Rainbow Toned Quarter

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
464 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2014  3:09 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add crazyglue to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi,
I am working on a BU set of Washington quarters (rather slowly due to the cost). I am very much of the group that does not like toned coins and much prefer the blazing white in my bu collection.

So I recently bought a partial set of BU quarters and this 50 D was tucked in. I was after many of the others in the set and figured I would end up selling the duplicates later. As it so happens, I already have a 50 D that I prefer.

But I thought this one was nicer than most toned coins I usually see, so I was hoping for some opinions. I am ignorant when it comes to toning, but I would assume that if it appeals to me more it might appeal to others more too.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1300 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2014  3:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rupester to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think its GREAT!! and I'm not a tone coin person!!
I mixed several colorful coins in my au bu Washington quarter book very fun collection to assemble I am down to the 1932s and I filled that nearly blank back page with type B quarters and a few very nice DDO/ddr coins
Edited by rupester
06/01/2014 3:27 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1697 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2014  4:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ErrorCoins222 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would question whether or not this is natural toning. The colors appear brighter than a naturally toned coin should look, IMO.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2504 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2014  7:45 pm  Show Profile   Check CoinCollector2000's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CoinCollector2000 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks artificial, but I'm no expert
Pillar of the Community
United States
564 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2014  7:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Arael to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am not an expert, but that certainly looks artificial to me, and in my opinion it's so bright and brilliant that it's kind of unattractive.
Pillar of the Community
917 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2014  8:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add LincolnGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's not natural. The colors shouldn't "flow" over everything like that. Like ErrorCoins222 said they are also really bright.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
5417 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2014  8:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add zxcccxz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would say artificially toned.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6362 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2014  11:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TypeCoin971793 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That coin is most definately artificially toned. Although the order of the colors is "technically" correct, I see no intermediate colors and no blending, characteristics of an AT'ed coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3433 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2014  11:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smokeriderdon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't give a rats rear end if that is purposeful or accidental toning, it is flipping gorgeous! I would welcome that one into my collection in a heartbeat.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4911 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2014  11:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Canadian-Banknotes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree, it looks like AT to me as well.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7807 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2014  5:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinCollector2012 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks AT to me.
Sets in progress... Mercury dimes, Washington quarters, 7070 Type Set, WLH Short Set
View my collection here! http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10518
My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/328488
ANA: 3183215
Valued Member
United States
498 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2014  5:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dasaki to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Artificial or not, that is a beautiful coin I would love to have.
United States
11 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2014  7:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BostonCC to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I collect toned Washington quarters. Having said that, I think that is one of the less-attractive examples of a 1950-D. Obviously many here like it, to each their own, but as a collector I wouldn't be interested in purchasing that coin at any price above melt.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1531 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2014  7:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cruisinfusion to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The colors are nice, but I wouldn't want them on a coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7807 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2014  7:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinCollector2012 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is one guy on eBay who sells AT ASEs that look just like this one. For the people who like this type of toning, you may want to check him out.

http://www.ebay.com/usr/bphis?_trks...047675.l2559
Sets in progress... Mercury dimes, Washington quarters, 7070 Type Set, WLH Short Set
View my collection here! http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10518
My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/328488
ANA: 3183215
Valued Member
United States
464 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2014  11:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add crazyglue to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all of your responses. I really appreciate it.
As I said, I'm not really into toned coins and don't know much about them- I certainly believe everyone who said it looks artificial.

I guess I will get rid of it on eBay soon or something, since toned coins are just not my thing (not that they aren't great for others). It doesn't really have a place in my Dansco.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.98 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05