Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Value Of Cameo And Or PL Grades

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Canada
37 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2014  9:55 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add 1947ML to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Sorry if this has already been discussed, but I could not find any info.

I am wondering if anybody knows how the grading system works for Proof Like coins with cameo?

Question:
1. Is the grade more important or the cameo?
ex: 1 Dollar CAD,.
1954 PL 66 Cameo vs
1954 PL 67 vs
1954 PL 65 UHC vs
1954 PL 66 HC vs
1954 PL 67 Cameo

How would you rank them for top value? grade/cameo?

Pillar of the Community
Canada
5417 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2014  10:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add zxcccxz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would think that the PL67 Cameo would have the most value.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
7540 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2014  10:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The grade is independent of the cameo. The cameo affects the price only.
PL67 coins are not listed in reputable price guides.The normal progression of prices is as follows.
PL64, PL64C, PL65, PL64HC, PL65C, PL65HC, PL66, Pl66C, PL66HC
For many years in certain denominations,HC and UHC are as rare as hen's teeth and pricing guides are out the window.

"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Edited by DBM
06/01/2014 10:38 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2341 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2014  10:39 pm  Show Profile   Check kuh_85's eBay Listings Check kuh_85's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add kuh_85 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I collect grade and cameo as separate 'streams'. IE I'll keep both a PL64 HC and a PL66. At least until I can get a PL66 HC to replace them both :-). As a VERY general rule I use Cameo = +10%, Heavy Cameo = +25% and Ultra Heavy Cameo = +75% but if you spend a bit of time browsing through Charlton Vol 1 you'll see that there is a wide variance between specific years; for some Cameo is more common and for others Cameo is quite rare.
Learn More...
Canada
8536 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2014  11:41 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll take a PL-65 UHC over a PL-67 any day... the monster eye appeal of an UHC is intoxicating to me...
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
7540 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2014  01:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I love cameo quarters,MS PL SP and PR, it's the one collection I never tire of, always searching and upgrading.
Does the ICCS pop report list the MS cameos?
-from PCGS website
Edited by DBM
06/02/2014 01:10 am
Learn More...
Canada
8536 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2014  10:07 am  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
DBM - I bet there is a 25-cent in my inventory that you don't have....

You don't see very many ICCS 1973 PL-66 Heavy Cameo Mountie quarters out there...

"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Edited by SPP-Ottawa
06/02/2014 10:09 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
7540 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2014  10:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You're right SPP, and I'm turning green, my '73 small bust is only Cameo. I do however have a PL67 with cameo, problem is it's in an AGC holder, it's not a PL it's a specimen and sure isn't 67, but it's kind of a cool keeper anyways.
-from PCGS website
Learn More...
Canada
8536 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2019  12:04 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To revise an old thread, PCGS now add registry set bonus points for Canadian PL (Proof--like) and SP (Specimen) coins. One point for CA (Cameo) and two points for DC (Deep Cameo).

https://www.PCGS.com/setregistry/ca...position/380

My eBay store
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.87 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05