Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Found A Coin In The Bahamas (Id: Modern Replica Cob For Pirate-Themed Parties)

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 14,319Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
4 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2014  10:48 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Smashedz28 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
A good friend of mine took a trip to the Bahamas. While walking a beach he found a coin in about 2 ft of water. Looks to be very old and hard to make out.

That's the coin. Doing some research I found this site which looks close but were unsure http://www.newworldtreasures.com/maravillas.htm. 2nd picture down.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4616 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2014  2:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First off, welcome.

I'm surprised you don't have a slew of answers already. I'm far from an expert on these, but it looks to be a Spanish "cob" type silver coin, from the 17th to early 18th century being my semi-educated guess. A ruler in the photo along with a weight would greatly assist in determining the denomination. A little better focus in the second photo would be helpful also. Most likely struck somewhere in the new world, I'd think, but somebody here will likely be able to provide a more definitive identification.
Colligo ergo sum
Pillar of the Community
United States
4057 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2014  4:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bpoc1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Smashedz28, to CCF.
Nice find.
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2014  5:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Smashedz28 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Appreciate the responses so far. I'll try to get some better pictures up later today. Glad to be here.
Learn More...
Australia
14271 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2014  6:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello and welcome.

Quote:
I'm surprised you don't have a slew of answers already.

The lack of responses may have something to do with uncertainty about authenticity. It does not look like a genuine silver cob to me. It looks more like the crude copies of gold cobs that you can buy by the bucketful for pirate-themed events.

I suspect someone had a party at the beach involving some sort of "pirate treasure hunt", and this coin went unfound.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
United States
4616 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2014  7:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It looks more like the crude copies of gold cobs that you can buy by the bucketful for pirate-themed events.

I noticed the cross was rather like those typically found on escudos, so I may well have been off-base. Plus, thinking bout it a little, if it were the real deal, I'd expect it wouldn't be so clean after salt water immersion of any duration.
Colligo ergo sum
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2014  8:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Smashedz28 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's not good to find out. Here is a couple more pictures. How could we be sure it was fake or not?

Thanks for your responses.
Learn More...
Australia
14271 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2014  03:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
How could we be sure it was fake or not?

Sorry, I hate to break it to you but there really is no room for any doubt - your friend's coin is as fake as the ones from the replica store I linked to above, because it's exactly the same design as them. Exactly. Genuine cob coins were all hand-struck from crudely shaped blanks. There are no two cob coins exactly the same size, shape and design; they are as unique as fingerprints. Yet, let's put your coin and a coin from the pile-o-fakes side-by-side to compare them.

These are what is known in numismatics as a "die match" - they were made in the same factory, or at least one was exactly copied off of the other. Note that they are exactly the same shape. Also note the repeated odd patterns that you usually do not find on genuine coins, such as the curious upside-down-L-shape hanging over the castle in the bottom left quadrant of the cross and the strange lumps and bumps on the cross itself. All exactly matching.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
United States
3253 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2014  07:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add philadelphian to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well done again, Sap, and very well presented!
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2014  1:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Smashedz28 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well that's terrible news but you have me convinced. Appreciate you taking the time to investigate for us. Great forum you guys have here. Thanks again!
United States
1 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2018  02:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cheeseball to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I understand that the above coin is a modern replica and a fake, but do you have any info on the original coin it is crafted from?
Learn More...
United States
112450 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
20617 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2018  4:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum.
A cultivated person is a citizen of the world*
Valued Member
United States
172 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2018  11:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RogerRamjet to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I understand that the above coin is a modern replica and a fake, but do you have any info on the original coin it is crafted from?

Hi cheeseball. I think it's trying to look like an escudo. Escudo means shield in both Spanish and Portuguese, which can make it tricky to search for info; it's easy to find lots of pictures of shields. Try searching on "escudo coin" instead. Welcome to the forum!
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2019  10:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JTShelton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have found this exact coin in my bathtub drain. Can anyone help me out? It doesn't look exactly like the fake one already posted. Could it be real? Any help would be great! Thanks!

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
685 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2019  2:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Anaximander to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Rotate the 2nd photo 90 degrees clockwise and compare. It can be seen it is the same item.

It could only have got into a bathtub drain at about the time the drain was built or sometime afterwards. Does your drain date from before the mid 1700's !? Was that a genuine query?
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 14,319Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: